Tip Drag & drop objects from one database to another (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:02
After almost 20 years using Access, it amazes me that I still find out new things all the time...

When I want to copy objects to a new database, I have always done so by importing or exporting by the usual methods

By chance I just discovered you can drag & drop as well! MUCH easier...!
Holding down shift & control allow multi-select in the usual way

The only drawback I can see is that linked tables in the source database become local tables in the destination database

If this is also a "well I never knew that " moment for you, do have a look at the attached video which shows this in use - not quite Oscar winning standard on this occasion

And if the rest of you already knew you could do this ... perhaps it just proves how little I really know

Attachments

• DragDropDBObjects.zip
    819.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Depends on who the old dog is in this case :D

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm just giving this a bump as it appears several experienced Access developers including MVPs are still unaware of this very useful feature.
In fact, after hearing about it from me, Mike Wolfe has just written an article on the subject Hidden Feature: Drag and Drop Access Objects Between Files (nolongerset.com). Thanks to @NauticalGent for letting me know about Mike's article

Back in post #1, I mentioned one drawback. When linked tables are dragged those become local tables.
I've since found a work-round to this which is far from intuitive....
Drag the linked table(s) across to the other database a second time. This time Access will ask you what to do with the table(s) ...select linked table and the local table will be replaced by a linked table. See the attached short video

In addition if you drag any Access object such as a table onto the desktop, a shortcut is created in the desktop. The shortcut will have a suffix .MAT
When the shortcut is double clicked, the database opens directly to the table.
This works for any Access object e.g. form shortcut .MAF, query .MAQ, report .MAR, module .MAD etc
Personally, the only time I’ve ever found this shortcut feature useful is for quick access to items in a DEMO session

Attachments

• DragDrop2.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 04:02
I'm just giving this a bump as it appears several experienced Access developers including MVPs are still unaware of this very useful feature.
In fact, after hearing about it from me, Mike Wolfe has just written an article on the subject Hidden Feature: Drag and Drop Access Objects Between Files (nolongerset.com). Thanks to @NauticalGent for letting me know about Mike's article

Back in post #1, I mentioned one drawback. When linked tables are dragged those become local tables.
I've since found a work-round to this which is far from intuitive....
Drag the linked table(s) across to the other database a second time. This time Access will ask you what to do with the table(s) ...select linked table and the local table will be replaced by a linked table. See the attached short video

In addition if you drag any Access object such as a table onto the desktop, a shortcut is created in the desktop. The shortcut will have a suffix .MAT
When the shortcut is double clicked, the database opens directly to the table.
This works for any Access object e.g. form shortcut .MAF, query .MAQ, report .MAR, module .MAD etc
Personally, the only time I’ve ever found this shortcut feature useful is for quick access to items in a DEMO session
Thank you for this post, never knew this feature exists.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Typo MAT = MAF

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ah! Not Typo MAT for tables! MAF for forms.
???????????

Although I don't find all the desktop shortcuts for Access objects particularly useful, there are 10 different types in all, even including views and stored procedures. I've also included one other strange file type associated with Access...

1638618595060.png

I've no idea what the diagram object is that would give a .MAG shortcut ...nor do I know what a .MAU file is.

Right clicking the shortcuts also allow quick access to e.g. table design view etc....

BTW Having checked in earlier versions of Access, both drag and drop features have been available since Access 97
Its amazing how neither feature seems to be widely known about, even amongst experienced developers, especially when its so useful for transferring objects between databases.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:02
I completely missed this thread back in 2018...we should have a (moderated) "Tips and Tricks" forum, perhaps?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hopefully, some people have been using it since 1997 when the feature was first added to Access

I completely missed this thread back in 2018...we should have a (moderated) "Tips and Tricks" forum, perhaps?
Good idea! This type of post doesn't fit in either Code Samples or Example Databases.
Perhaps @Jon will be willing to add a Tips & Tricks forum area

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
???????????

I thought I cleared up my mistake. I am used to using MAF, I first posted in 2015

and there are earlier posts by others...

So when I saw you'd written "MAT" Colin, I assumed it was a typo, which is why I mentioned it. I thought it should be "MAF"... But I see "MAT" is for table links.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Although I don't find all the desktop shortcuts for Access objects particularly useful,

The form one "MAF" is definitely useful!

Open your database, minimise it so you can see both your database and desktop, then drag your menu Form, or any other form for that matter, onto the desktop. Now whenever you want to open your database, click on the shortcut and it will take you straight through to that form without using any macros or Autoexc!!!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Tony
As you say, the shortcuts feature is more widely known though, in my opinion, not often that useful.
I mentioned how to use the shortcuts back in post #4. Right clicking the shortcut gives several useful options including design view

Its the drag and drop from one dB to another which seems to be almost completely unknown....despite being very useful.

I'm certainly not claiming to be the first person to discover either feature...just trying to make them more widely known.
In fact the only relevant hits on Bing are for threads I've posted at e.g. Bytes and AF.net together with Mike Wolfe's article.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
The form one "MAF" is definitely useful!

Open your database, minimise it so you can see both your database and desktop, then drag your menu Form, or any other form for that matter, onto the desktop. Now whenever you want to open your database, click on the shortcut and it will take you straight through to that form without using any macros or Autoexc!!!
Sounds like a separate tip!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
On different subject, I didn't realise the alerts feature told me before someone posts...in this case @NauticalGent
1638631690865.png

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Sounds like a separate tip!

Definitely a candidate for a YouTube video!!!

I maintain a list of tips on my website here:-

It's searchable, due to some excellent software by MayMay...

It's a list mainly to help me...

I think Jon could add MayMay's code to the WordPress structure of the forum.

However, I think it's invisible to Google, which wouldn't be good for SEO ....

Last edited:

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 20:02
I used to drag & drop objects between my test databases when I started using Access. Every office application allow drag & drop objects. I mostly use it in Microsoft Visio.

Every now and then I received a message that the database is in a situation that can not continue this process (or some messages like this)
I had to close and re-open both databases to be able to copy objects.

Later I noticed if one of the databases has an unsaved object (form, query, table, report) or is not compiled, I receive this message. It was enough to compile both databases and save the opened objects.

Access could be more user friendly if the message contained which database needs to be compiled.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can't remember when I discovered the drag and drop it was so long ago but I use it frequently. You need to have all objects closed or you might not be able to use the feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom