Duplicate databases (1 Viewer)

Rookie89

Local time
Today, 11:23
Hello,

I work for a large company and have inhereted a few Access 97 databases. I have the responsibility for keeping them updated and working properly. I don't have any formal training with Access so please be gentle with me. My problem is as follows.

I made a backup copy on another drive, but any entries made to the original will show up on the copy and vise-versa. I tried renaming the copied files, but that didn't help. Somehow they are linked together and I can't figure out how to break the link.

I need to create a new database identical to the already existing ones but it must function independently of the others.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. a spell check would be helpful on this posting forum.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 12:23
It sounds like you have linked tables, the only way I know of to get rid of a link is to copy the table and then delete the original from the database you need to be standalone. Maybe someone has a better way, I'm still new to this forum. :)

Hope that helps,

Vassago

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:23
Rookie89,

It doesn't sound like your two databases are linked together.

I think that the original is linked to a third database ...
and so is the copy!

If they were linked to each other, moving them around would
destroy the links. The third database is stationary so moving
either of your two doesn't matter.

Use the linked table manager to see where your third database
is or LOOK in the MSysObjects table in the database column.

hth,
Wayne

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 12:23
Yeah, that's what I thought I was saying, sorry if my word usage wasn't very good.

If you copy and paste the tables, it will get rid of the links. I've had to do that more than a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom