Edge Browser object on Windows Server (1 Viewer)

dussel1000

Local time
Today, 02:02
I have an Access Application that runs on a Windows 2022 Server but when using the Edge Browser Object is stays blank without an error message.

On my local machines the same application works fine.
The Edge Browser Object is available in the Ms Access version on the server.

Do I miss something?

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:02
Do I miss something?
You should not really be running an application from a server.

Ideally you will split your application in to frontend (forms and gui) and backend (tables and data).

Backend resides on the server.

Each user has their own local copy of the frontend on their individual machies which connects to the backend on the server.

This way, you won't run in to the issue you describe.

Edited to add:
IIRC, MS were soon going to prevent running Office apps on a server - might this be a factor too?

dussel1000

Local time
You should not really be running an application from a server.

Ideally you will split your application in to frontend (forms and gui) and backend (tables and data).

Backend resides on the server.

Each user has their own local copy of the frontend on their individual machies which connects to the backend on the server.

This way, you won't run in to the issue you describe.

Edited to add:
IIRC, MS were soon going to prevent running Office apps on a server - might this be a factor too?
The application is running on a dedicated AWS Server and used by approx. 20 users with rdp sessions as an online solution.

This works perfect, except for the Edge Browser Object.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Are all users connecting to the same instance of the application at the same time?

Even with multiple users over RDP the premise should remain the same.

Each user has an individual copy of the frontend on their 'local' (RDP) desktop that connects to a single backend.

If all users access the same copy of the app at the same time you are extremely likely to run in to other problems as well as your missing browser control.

dussel1000

Local time
Are all users connecting to the same instance of the application at the same time?

Even with multiple users over RDP the premise should remain the same.

Each user has an individual copy of the frontend on their 'local' (RDP) desktop that connects to a single backend.

If all users access the same copy of the app at the same time you are extremely likely to run in to other problems as well as your missing browser control.
Every users works in his own rdp session with 'his own copy' of the application, so that is not the issue.

Even on a test server with only 1 user I don't get the web browser object working.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Every users works in his own rdp session with 'his own copy' of the application, so that is not the issue.
This seems an odd setup!

So, if one user make changes to data in the tables, it is not reflected in the application(s) of the other users?

dussel1000

Local time
This seems an odd setup!

So, if one user make changes to data in the tables, it is not reflected in the application(s) of the other users?
The back end database is shared by multiple users but each user has is own copy of the front end application within the rdp session.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Done that, the Edge Webbrowser Object is available in the MS Access version.
OK, then I'm afraid my limited experience here means I'm out of suggestions. 😬

Hopefully others with more expertise with your scenario/setup will chime in shortly.

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 04:02
I don't have the Edge browser control, but you could try to isolate the issue.

I would try to run another Access app, a fresh one with the browser control pointing to, say, Google, and see if that works to isolate my app as the problem, and not Access.

Then I would try running the regular Edge browser app, not the browser control, and also Chrome, the browser too. The reason is that both use the same engine. If they behave the same way then the issue is not Access, but something else.

Those are the first tests, can you do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom