Employee Schedule Database (1 Viewer)

AGNewton5

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:23
I am trying to create an Employee Schedule database that will use Employee data from a training database (also MS Access). I am basically wanting to have 2 options for each Employee when it comes to their schedule. The Employee will either be assigned to a team (5 teams- they will have the same days off) or a custom schedule. I want to be able to schedule vacation, sick time or other various reasons to miss work to an Employee through this as well. My main purpose for this database will be to easily print/ display the schedule for the Employee. I am currently using an excel sheet that is kind of a pain and people often delete the formulas or edit things. I saw a form online when I was looking into this and really like the idea, I am just new to this and am really struggling with the setup. I attached the picture I found that I would like to mimic as well as a picture of the current schedule system that is used here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

schedSetup.JPG

Attachments

• CurrentSchedule.JPG
    CurrentSchedule.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 454

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:23
Hi. When creating a database system, the first thing you have to design is the table structure. If you're not familiar with the term "database normalization," I would recommend you do a little research on that subject first. Once you have a sound foundation for your table structure, you can design any user interface around it, and it will be easier to maintain.

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 07:23
AG,

based on what you want, the picture you showed, and the excel sheet you posted, this undertaking will be pretty large. You may want to look at some access-based CRM templates. CRM = Customer Relationship Management. And even though that acronym isn't technically related to employees, it really doesn't matter. You can still make good use of something like that because the structure is what you would want to copy.

Based on the info in the image of your large XLSX, you can probably set up this up any number of ways, and there's no doubt that everyone around here would have their own opinion on how to do it. But the bottom line is that, as dbGuy has already said, the concept of normalization is ""kind-of"" key to something like this. That concept is widely used by pros, however you want this man's opinion, it often goes by the wayside because moves so fast and customers change their mind so often, that it's hard to stay congruent with it over time. But to begin in terms of the planning phase, yeah it would be relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom