Error in Analyzing Report with MS Excel (1 Viewer)

S

spaceball12

I have a report that is 82 pages long that I'd like to send to Excel. When I choose to "Analyze It with MS Excel", it says it's outputting page 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and then just stops. No Excel file is created and I am returned to the print preview view of the form.

I thought that perhaps the length of the report was the cause of this, so I created a second report that is formatted so that it is only 16 pages long. When I try to analyze it in Excel, it says it's outputting page 1, 2, 3, then stops. Again, no Excel file is created.

I tried Exporting the reports into Excel as well and I get the same results. It just seems like these reports won't go into Excel.

I have sent many reports, even in the same database, to Excel without any problems. I am at a loss for ideas on how to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:59
I'm actually having the same problem. I can click Analyze with Excel with any of my reports except this one.

Its only 6 pages long and is based on a query. Going to File/Save as and trying to export it to Excel doesn't work either.

I don't get any error message - just teh screen flashes up to say it is outputting it and then nothing!

Any ideas why this might be?

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Analyze with Excel doesn't work when tables are linked!?

OK - I am going to list the steps I took.

Ok I tried doing this in VB instead using the following code:
DoCmd.OutputTo acReport, "Job Numbers and Positions", acFormatXLS

First I was getting strange errors like "2455 You entered an expression that has an invalid reference to the property |". I decompiled the database a few times and that stopped that error.

I exported the report, relavent queries to a new database called db5.mdb as I was going to post it here on the forum. I exported the relavent tables from the BE to the same new database (db5.mdb). Then it worked!

So then I thought it might be a corruption issue and exported everything to a new database but it didn't work when I did this. When I ran the code above it opened the Save As dialog box but did not save the Excel sheet. As before when I tried 'Analyzing with Excel' or exporting to Excel nothing happened.

So finally in the new database I tried replacing the linked tables with the actual tables and then it worked!

Has anyone any ideas what could be going on with this?

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
have you tried exporting the query to a csv file then importing that into Excel.

You could have a problem with the versions of the text drivers used by the Jet Engine when exporting.

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that Dennisk. I did try your suggestion and I was able to import it fine.

Anyways I just found the problem - there was a combo box in the report - its rowsource was a look-up table. I changed it to a textbox and changed the underlying query to include the data from the lookup table. That solved it.

I've been trying to figure this out for hours! I guess it makes since when you remember that you can't export subreports using the analyze to Excel feature. This is probably a similar issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom