Error in database shared over a network (1 Viewer)

ilanray

Local time
Today, 09:29
Hello
I have a split database shared over a network. From time to time some users get an error message "Microsoft Access has detected that this database is in an inconsistent state’. When you click OK in the error message window “The database ‘xxx.mdb’ can’t be repaired or it is not a Microsoft Access database file"
Can someone help me with that?

thanks

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:29
You might have a problem with your network. If the network connections intermittently drop, that could happen during a write operation from one of your users, and that could corrupt the backend. Also, a user could shut down their workstation prematurely, again creating a problem. WiFi is particularly risky for networks when you deploy a split Access application.

There could be other reasons, but that is the most likely.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:29
I have a split database shared over a network.
So to be clear - each user has their own copy of the front end and the backend is on the server? If that is not the case and users are sharing a front end located on the server, that can also be a reason

ilanray

Local time
We are working in a company and all of the users are in wired cable and not WI FI
The Users share the front-end. otherwise how can I update from time to time the forms and the reports?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Each should have their own FE. :(

ilanray

Local time
So if each user will have his own FE, how can I update all FE's ?
When there is just one FE I can update just one file and everyone will see the results

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is the database split?

There may be some data corruption
If you get all users to disconnect, take a windows copy, and then open the backend in access (or the database if it's not split.)

Access will then try to repair the database.

You ought to split the database, and not have multiple users running the same copy of the front end.
Make sure you take daily overnight backups of the database containing the data

Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When there is just one FE I can update just one file and everyone will see the results

You store a version indicator somewhere, and your startup code checks users are using the latest version. If not they can copy the latest version from a shared server. That sort of thing.

Last edited:

ilanray

Local time
What I mean is from time to time I have this problem. when I am telling to the users to exit access then it works fine the next time we are log in/
The problem is during the day sometimes there are users that can login to the share app

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Been
Been asked and answered many times.
Some people just have a shortcut that copies the latest evertime it is opened. Others have version control and only copy when needed.

Google Bob Larsen FE Updater for one, and search here for his name, as this has been asked many times.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:29
What I mean is from time to time I have this problem. when I am telling to the users to exit access then it works fine the next time we are log in/
The problem is during the day sometimes there are users that can login to the share app
It's more convenient for you to make users share an FE accdb. However, the downside is increased risk of corruption and greater disruptions for users, which is the problem at hand.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:29
Your problem is the result of sharing the front end and having someone have a "whoops" moment that breaks the shared FE. It could be file locking or it could be a user whose system undergoes some type of instability. (Windows is good... but it ain't perfect.)

Search for "Auto-updater" and "FE updater" to see extensive discussion on the "why" of doing it this way. Pat Hartman's post #7 in the linked thread shows a good example of a 4-line batch file that you can use to implement the auto-updater of your FE file - AND launch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom