Error mesage when running code on subform (1 Viewer)

H

hargy

Error message with MS Access 2000
I am currently writing developing a small database for use by my Company as a Purchasing System. I am not brilliant with VB and under advice, used some code from the examples provided with MS Access 2000 (namely the Orders db)

I have structured the database around the code however when I try to run the code I get the following error message:

"The expression On Dbl Click you entered as the property setting produced the following error. A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control"

Seeing as this is a standard non sensical error from MS, I would really like a resolution as to
a) what does it mean and
b) how do I resolve its issues

The code is pretty standard VB code - nothing fancy, and I can provide it if necessary if that helps in resolving my problem.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 08:50
Yes, posting code almost always helps others debug it. If you don't want to regurgitate the whole thing up here, another good option is to note if the error has a number code associated with it (i.e. 2105). If I then search for 'error 2105' in all the Forums here, I found out that this error has to do with not having a record in my recordset. A less precise method is to take the prominent words from the error message and put them in the search engine of this forum. Searching on 'problem communic ole' for example gave me three likely candidates.

Another option is Microsoft's support server (http://support.microsoft.com) which is fairly decent at explaining what they _really_ meant when they said "Access had a problem communicating with the OLE server".

Another option, of course, is to actually look at what the error is telling you. Is there a rogue bit of code associated with the on Dbl Click event? Are you trying to reference something that doesn't exist? Did you pull your example straight from the Orders db without grabbing the associated module of code that actually does the behind the scenes work?

Just a few thoughts to get you started. Especially in the Modules & VBA forum, it is generally helpful to see the code that may be causing the problem.

HTH,
David R

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom