Ethical Dilemmas (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
There are many laws, however unless you want to be jobless you tend not to tell on people. That is the sad part, it still goes on everywhere. They urge people to report it, but if you do you lose your job and have a hard time finding another. *sighs*

Yeah, pretty much the same goes here, funny how somebody defending themselves is tagged as a troublemaker :confused:

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:06
Rich said:
Yeah, pretty much the same goes here, funny how somebody defending themselves is tagged as a troublemaker :confused:

I'm sure the situation described above is completely genuine and I'm not making any reference to it, at all. However, in answer to Rich's comment, I've worked for a company where someone had a deserved reputation for making false harassment claims.

It was a woman who persistently claimed sexual harassment, if she didn't get her own way on something. She started out claiming sexual discrimination whenever she didn't get promoted, praised, or whatever, then, when she had had a few of these complaints shot down as having no basis in fact, she went for the harassment route.

She knew full well that - even though it was always investigated and thrown out - the complaint would result in a 'black mark' on the accused person's record (which was all she was looking to achieve). As long as she acted disgruntled when the complaint was dropped, she never had to admit to lying. It made some supervisors very wary of having her on a project so, in that case, she was tagged as a 'troublemaker.

I didn't believe it myself, until she bragged about it to me. As far as she was concerned, it was a perfectly valid means of succeeding in work. To an outsider, it may well have appeared that she was being subjected to repeated harassment, but that wasn't the case at all.

Apart from feeling very sorry for the people who had been accused, it had the inevitable side-effect of making some people in the company less open to hearing such complaints, genuine or otherwise.

JBishton

Local time
Kraj said:
Has he ever appologized or tried to rectify the situation in any way?

--No, he has not. I've pretty much stayed out of his way.
(Exciting news: I am currently interviewing for 2 job openings!!)

What an amazing forum, thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement.:)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 12:06
JBishton said:

I hope you get one of those. Believe me, I know how miserable it is to be in a situation like that. Fortunately, when something similar happened to me (many many years ago, probably my second job ever) the guy ended up getting fired a month later so I didn't have to stress about it for very long.

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
JBishton said:

Yeah, you are in my prayers as well as I am crossing my fingers and toes for you.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
JBishton said:

He has a hard time with social skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom