Excel file reverts to read-only while in use (1 Viewer)

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:18
Another random problem that one of my co-workers is having is that he regularly will be working on a workbook in write mode and approx. half an hour later I'll hear him swearing and then showing me that his file has gone from write mode to read only. I've never seen this before and thankfully the files don't do it on my computer or I would have thrown it out the window by now.
Anyone else had this issue..? I realise this might not be exclusively an Excel problem but it's always with these workbooks that the issue occurs.

Edit: Forgot to add that he got a new PC about a year ago and has been having the issue ever since.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 09:18
And this file is NOT shared with others?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 06:18
Another random problem that one of my co-workers is having is that he regularly will be working on a workbook in write mode and approx. half an hour later I'll hear him swearing and then showing me that his file has gone from write mode to read only. I've never seen this before and thankfully the files don't do it on my computer or I would have thrown it out the window by now.
Anyone else had this issue..? I realise this might not be exclusively an Excel problem but it's always with these workbooks that the issue occurs.

Edit: Forgot to add that he got a new PC about a year ago and has been having the issue ever since.
Not that I don't believe you've relayed accurately what you were told, but I'm pretty suspicious that Excel would have a hidden feature that randomly changes such settings all on its own.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Not that I don't believe you've relayed accurately what you were told, but I'm pretty suspicious that Excel would have a hidden feature that randomly changes such settings all on its own.
Yeah that's why I'm unsure if it's an excel specific problem.
But I can be in the workbook in read only after I've selected 'Notify' (because it's told me that my colleague has it open for editing), and then sure enough about half an hour to an hour later I get a message saying that it's available for use, generally followed 30 seconds later by him swearing at his computer saying it's booted him out of write mode again.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:18
See if the automatic save option is enabled and set for approximately the same interval at which the problem shows up. If it is a periodic auto-save then it may be related to that bug that eating the socks for Access users.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think that's the case but will check when he's back from his holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom