excel import wizard (1 Viewer)

aphelps

Bird Man
Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
I have a ten-field excel spreadsheet with 6600 records. When I try to import it into Access, the "spreadsheet import wizard" text appears in the status bar, but nothing else happens.

I have tried saving it out of excel as DBF and tab-delimited text as well. When I try to import these files, I am informed that the MS jet engine can't find the .dbf file (no matter which type I'm trying to import).

I have also tried cutting and pasting from Excel into Access, both into a new blank table and into one with the same field names. Neither works (the text is too long to be edited, I am told).

This file is not that large. What gives?

Thanks--Adam

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:24
I have successfully imported 7-column Excel with over 13,000 records OK using AC97. And I have imported 48-column Excel with nearly 1,000 records. So I don't see why you should have a problem. Unless you installed Office without some of the office links because you did a custom install.

Are you running low on memory in that machine? How about running low on swap-file space?

Finally, as an "off the wall" idea, get into any module and bring up a code window. In AC97, follow the main menu bar. In AC2K use the code-window menu bar. Follow Tools >> References. See if you have a reference to the Excel library. If it is not checked or if it is checked but says MISSING, you have a reference problem.

If so, search this forum for "References" or "Missing References" - hardly a day goes by that we don't see one of these. You should find a way to fix reference problems if that turns out to be the gremlin that got you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom