Export from ms Access to Exel (1 Viewer)

Bunga2017

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:31
Can someone help me with vba to export to ms Excel format (Access 2010).
I use below VBA, I Need the result in Excel :

1. without Field Name
2. Range("A4")CopyFromRecordset (see attachment)

private Sub Command487_Click()
On Error GoTo SubError

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12Xml, "NewCustomerForm", _
"C:\Customer\.xlsx"

MsgBox "File exported successfully", vbInformation + vbOKOnly, "Export Success"

SubExit:
Exit Sub

SubError:
MsgBox "Error Number: " & Err.Number & "= " & Err.Description, vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "An error occured"
GoTo SubExit
End Sub

Thank you in advance for your help

Attachments

• Result Export to excel.png
    Result Export to excel.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 95

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:31
This question is not as simple as it looks because of that three-line offset.

TransferSpreadSheet is powerful but it has its limits. I looked it up before I answered. As I had correctly recalled, you cannot export TO a specific range. You CAN import FROM a given range, but for export, the range field of Docmd.TransferSpreadSheet MUST be blank or the command will fail.

Therefore, if you HAVE to have this done entirely in VBA, you might have to learn about creating and using application objects. You could do this in any of several ways, but two of those ways require you to open Excel via an application object and then manipulate the spreadsheet directly through code.

To see how this is done, use the SEARCH feature of this forum to look up "Application Object" and I'm sure you will see lots of code on the topic. However, since I cannot tell how comfortable you are with VBA, I'm not going to try to post a complex code solution until you can look at what is involved.

Here's the good news: If you choose to use app objects, it isn't terrible. Once the Excel object is opened, you can open a workbook, then select and make current a worksheet inside the workbook. When you do, the rows and columns are almost trivially easy to manipulate. However, you might need to open a recordset to export your data.

OR you could just do the export more or less as you showed in your code, but provide the flag that says "no column headers" (one of the optional arguments after the file name.) THEN open the app object, open the workbook, select the sheet, and insert three blank rows at the top. In either app object case, you would then close & save the workbook, tell Excel to Quit (through the application object), and do other cleanup as might be required. I'll avoid the controversy raging in another thread on just how much more cleanup is required, but you can always ask what else should be done if you choose one of these methods.

A third possibility, also a bit ugly, is to create a temporary empty table for export where the desired output fields are all strings (regardless of what they are in your actual table). Or you can create a static temporary table and erase it before you start this. Then create three blank records at the top of that table and the four records you wanted, also as strings that have already been formatted. Then export THAT using the DoCmd as you showed earlier. With the three blank records at top, it would look the same.

However, there is a trick to this, too, since tables have no inherent or guaranteed order. You would have one more field in this temporary table holding a number showing the order in which you want that record to be written, perhaps no more than a desired line number. Then instead of exporting directly from the table, export from a query similar to:

Code:
SELECT FieldA, FieldB FROM TempTable ORDER BY LineNumber ;

Then make the three blank records have line numbers 1, 2, and 3. Make your data records have line numbers 4, 5, 6, and 7. The line number does NOT have to be in the SELECT {fields} portion of the SQL statement. You can just have it in the ORDER BY clause.

Bunga2017

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:31
Dear The_Doc_Man,

Thank you for your advice

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:31
This is part of a piece of code i sometimes use. It is faster than TransferSpreadsheet and it gets the job done nicely.
Code:
Public Sub ExportToExcel(rst As Recordset)

Dim appXL        As Excel.Application
    Dim wb           As Workbook
    Dim ws           As Worksheet

Set appXL = New Excel.Application 'or getobject existing excel object
    Set wb = appXL.Workbooks.Add      'or open an existing excel workbook
    Set ws = wb.Worksheets(1)

appXL.Visible = False
    ws.Range("A4").CopyFromRecordset rst
    appXL.Visible = True

wb.Save

Set ws = Nothing
    Set wb = Nothing
    Set appXL = Nothing

End Sub
This code was not tested in a live environment.

Share & Enjoy!
HTH:D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:31
Good one, Gus. I don't think I ever used .CopyFromRecordset, but that is a third option using app objects!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom