Exporting data from .xls to .mdb (1 Viewer)

cindy.endris

Local time
Yesterday, 22:57
I need YOUR help!

I have set up my tables in .mdb with no data and I have set up my worksheets including the date exactly like my tables. I have succesfully exported 2 of my worksheets into 2 of my tables but the 3rd one didn't work.

I received a message stating:
“The first row contains some data that can’t be used for valid Access field names. In these cases, the wizard will automatically assign valid field names.”

I am aware that access has constraints on field names and I am compliance with it. What could be the problem? Below are my field names in the first row of my excel worksheet:
AflacCode
EmployeeCode
Aflac_Pol
Aflac_Cov
Aflac_Prem
AflacAnni
AflacBene

Since I received this message above, I allowed the wizard to assigned valid field names but I received another pop-up message. It stated:
“An error occurred trying to import file ‘Administration.xls’. The file was not imported.”

Since I got the above message, I deleted the field names in the first row in excel but the wizard didn’t give me the option to put it in an existing table (see below).

Any suggestions? I appreciate any information you have to share. Thanks!
:eek:

junyor

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Cindy,

I have tried to import a table in mdb and it worked fine.

I did the following:
- Data menu/Get external data/new database query/msaccess database
- Selected the mdb/next/next/next/finish
- There is a button called "Properties" which you can choose whether you want to include the field name or not.
- Ok

have you done these steps?

cindy.endris

Local time
Access is SENSITIVE

Actually, I figured it out before I read your message. Previously, I had 75 columns of data but I broke the worksheet into several worksheets to match the tables I have created in a database. Apparently, access recognizes that there used to be data in the excel spreadsheet so it didn't import the data.

Solution: I copy/paste my .xls onto a new worksheet and it imported successfully.

However, I know I'll run into more problems so I appreciate all your help!

Cheers, Cindy E.

ptm0412

Normal member
Local time
Today, 12:57
Dear Cindy,
I have not yet export a workbook to an Access file, but I have done sucessfully with a 8 sheets-workbook in the way of importing in Access instead of Exporting from Excel. Or may you try it?
Anyway, by Importing in Access you can also import as linked table. And you don't have to make in advanced any table previously.
Cheer,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom