Solved External hard drive to ethernet switch (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:07
Good morning all,

My home network is wired; I use MOCA "bricks" to bring the service from my cable provider then connect my devices with an ethernet switch. I want to be able to make certain files available to all the devices that are wired in. Can an external HD be plugged into the switch and if not, what is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:07
Looks like you are looking for a NAS (=Network Attached Storage) device.

In any case, this recent thread should contain a lot of useful info for you:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Looks like you are looking for a NAS (=Network Attached Storage) device.
Decisions, decisions....

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:07
John,
Perhaps ask @Pat Hartman, as she has just purchased a NAS box for a client of hers.

I have 2 Dlink DNS323 NAS boxes which are quite old now, but had no problems with them. Each is setup as Raid 1.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I Have a Synology NAS box DS120j (single drive) , and its great. It has USB And Gbit Network connections.
It sits in the corner of the office and has a Lan cable plugged in to it.

I have various folders that are shared on it, and a media folder, that is set up as a media server.
It has a work folder that I create folders in that replicate clients network storage layouts which is very handy for checking centralised storage paths for common documents etc. I have a number of routines that map drive letters depending on which clients system I am working on.

The web based management system has pretty much everything you would need from it, loads of data:
1701271288648.png

1701271366448.png

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
John,
Investigate getting the disk(s) seprarately.
Amazon have Minty's NAS at £97 and with a 1TB WD Red Plus disk it is bumped to £197, yet the disk is only £49 on Amazon by itself.
Probably a little cheaper in the USA, but still. :-(

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Some of the cases are sold separate from the disk. The Buffalo came as a package.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
My next stop is a small UPS for it and my docking station, one monitor, and the fibre router.
I use a laptop so that can run for at least a couple of hours, it will let me continue working if the power goes off, and allow me to at least save anything I was working on without losing stuff.

Edit - I did buy the disk separately, significantly cheaper at the time.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
John,
The Raid set up saved me when one of the disks went bad in my NAS.
Should be quite easy to set up. My linkstation is single disk.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
John,
The Raid set up saved me when one of the disks went bad in my NAS.
Should be quite easy to set up. My linkstation is single disk.
Exactly why I was considering it. I also spent (too much) time looking at how to get the drives to split the work-load and all that happy stuff and decided I was trying to kill a mosquito with a bazooka. I don't THINK I can configure the one I bought to use RAID technology. Since the NAS feature is more of a convivence at this point and the data not all that critical, I went with a more affordable option.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Exactly why I was considering it. I also spent (too much) time looking at how to get the drives to split the work-load and all that happy stuff and decided I was trying to kill a mosquito with a bazooka. I don't THINK I can configure the one I bought to use RAID technology. Since the NAS feature is more of a convivence at this point and the data not all that critical, I went with a more affordable option.
As long as you have two disks :)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Got it today, 15 min later we are up and running. Sweet...

1701564097342.png

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Well, it seems like this isn't a total success story...

My wife needs to use a VPN to connect to her company's website. While she is using the VPN she cannot access the NAS Server. Going to spend some time to see it the issue on my side but I suspect it is on hers.

Damn cyber security...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I thought the whole idea of a VPN was a tunnel where noone can see in and you cannot see out, just what is at the end of the tunnel.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I thought the whole idea of a VPN was a tunnel where noone can see in and you cannot see out, just what is at the end of the tunnel.
Yes, that is my understanding too. This isn't a show-stopper, but it does dull my shiny new toy a little...

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I can't remember the settings, and I suspect it may be out of your control, but you can choose to route local traffic requests via the VPN or Not, and that will determine if you can see locally attached network stuff.

It will be a DNS thing from memory, when connected the DNS is using the VPN connections lookups.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
This isn't a show-stopper, but it does dull my shiny new toy a little...
If you map the new NAS as a drive in your wife's pc, will it not then be available to drag and drop files via her Windows Explorer?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If you map the new NAS as a drive in your wife's pc, will it not then be available to drag and drop files via her Windows Explorer?
I can as long as she is not using the VPN. Once she activates it - *poof*

I'm asking Dr. Google and ChatGPT and even consulted the manual that came with the NAS box. No joy yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom