Solved External hard drive to ethernet switch (1 Viewer)

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:41
I can as long as she is not using the VPN. Once she activates it - *poof*
OK, then it definitely sounds like something with the settings of the VPN.

You may need to add your internal network to the AllowedIP's - how you do that will depend on the VPN configuration interface/conf files

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:41
Well, it seems like this isn't a total success story...

My wife needs to use a VPN to connect to her company's website. While she is using the VPN she cannot access the NAS Server. Going to spend some time to see it the issue on my side but I suspect it is on hers.

Damn cyber security...
How was she saving her work prior to the NAS

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:41
How was she saving her work prior to the NAS
Good. Issue was, he bosses, and her for that matter, are always saying "That's cool! Can you do this...?" Which means she would have to send me the latest (if her version was more current) and so on and so on. The NAS box was supposed to give us both the ability to work and develop. We have a better situation now, it just isn't exactly what we hoped for.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I know you asked ChatGpt but maybe there are some subtle differences between the responses, especially in the settings

Me
if I'm using a VPN with default settings and want to enable a backup drive connected to a network switch how could I accomplish this?

ChatGPT
Enabling a backup drive connected to a network switch while using a VPN involves a few steps. Keep in mind that the specific steps might vary based on the VPN client and the operating system you are using. Here's a general guide:
  1. Connect the Backup Drive to the Network Switch:
    • Ensure that the backup drive is properly connected to the network switch. Make sure it has the correct power supply and is visible on the network.
  2. Access Network Settings:
    • Open the network settings on your computer. This can usually be found in the control panel or system preferences.
  3. Identify the IP Address of the Backup Drive:
    • Check the documentation for your backup drive or access the router's settings to determine the IP address assigned to the backup drive by the network.
  4. VPN Settings:
    • Open your VPN client and locate the settings. Look for an option related to local network access or split tunneling. This allows you to access local devices while still connected to the VPN.
  5. Enable Local Network Access in VPN Settings:
    • Enable the option that allows access to your local network. This is important because it ensures that your computer can communicate with devices on the same network, including the backup drive.
  6. Configure Firewall Settings:
    • If your computer has a firewall, ensure that it allows communication with the IP address of the backup drive. You may need to create a rule or exception to permit the traffic.
  7. Test the Connection:
    • After making these changes, test the connection to the backup drive. Try accessing it through its IP address or network name. If successful, you should be able to use the backup drive while connected to the VPN.
Remember, these steps provide a general guideline, and the exact steps may vary depending on your specific VPN client, operating system, and the model of the backup drive. Always refer to the documentation provided by your VPN service and the manufacturer of your backup drive for detailed and accurate instructions.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
  1. VPN Settings:
    • Open your VPN client and locate the settings. Look for an option related to local network access or split tunneling. This allows you to access local devices while still connected to the VPN.
  2. Enable Local Network Access in VPN Settings:
    • Enable the option that allows access to your local network. This is important because it ensures that your computer can communicate with devices on the same network, including the backup drive.
  3. Configure Firewall Settings:
    • If your computer has a firewall, ensure that it allows communication with the IP address of the backup drive. You may need to create a rule or exception to permit the traffic.
That is the conclusion I came to as well. She has asked her IT team to see if they could accommodate us, but PFG is a MASSIVE company and we are not optimistic...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, on and off the VPN...
Apologies if this has been tried or seems stupid.

ChatGPT
If you can see your C drive while connected to the company VPN, you may be able to map a folder or network drive to the backup drive without necessarily changing VPN settings. Here are the steps you might follow:
  1. Identify the Backup Drive:
    • Determine the network path or IP address of the backup drive connected to the network switch.
  2. Create a Shared Folder on the Backup Drive:
    • Ensure that the backup drive has a shared folder. If not, create one and configure the necessary permissions to allow your VPN-connected computer to write to it.
  3. Map Network Drive:
    • Follow these steps to map a network drive to the shared folder:
      • Right-click on "This PC" or "My Computer" on your desktop.
      • Select "Map network drive."
      • Choose a drive letter for the network drive (e.g., Z:.
      • In the "Folder" field, enter the network path to the shared folder on the backup drive (e.g., \backup-drive\shared-folder).
      • Check the option to reconnect at sign-in if you want the drive to be automatically mapped each time you log in.
      • Click "Finish" or "Connect."
  4. Save Documents to Mapped Network Drive:
    • Once the network drive is mapped, it will appear as if it's a local drive on your computer (e.g., Z:. Save your documents directly to this drive, and they will be stored on the shared folder of the backup drive.
This method allows you to save documents directly to the mapped network drive without altering your VPN settings. The key is to have the backup drive's shared folder accessible over the network, and then you map it to a drive letter on your local machine.
Keep in mind that the ability to do this depends on the specific permissions and configurations set by your company's IT department, so it's advisable to consult with them or check any documentation provided by your company's IT support.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I had thought of that but said to myself there is no way that will work - "If access cant see the drive, it cant read or write to it"

But since you suggested I thought maybe it would work...but it didnt.

There is no satisfaction in being right...

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:41
I can as long as she is not using the VPN. Once she activates it - *poof*

I'm asking Dr. Google and ChatGPT and even consulted the manual that came with the NAS box. No joy yet...
The NAS cannot do anything about it. It's the VPN creating the problem. A VPN connection activated locally on a computer (as opposed to on a gateway in the network) may switch the computers network settings to route all traffic through the VPN. - As your NAS is not known on the VPNs network, the NAS stopped to exist for the computer.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Plug the ole Buffalo directly into a USB on the wife's computer and use it like a portable drive while surfing with the VPN...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Plug the ole Buffalo directly into a USB on the wife's computer and use it like a portable drive while surfing with the VPN...
That did work, but it turns out it wasn't needed. She can access the websites without being on the VPN.

Although it is working, the performance is underwhelming. When the the NAS box and PC are sharing the same switch, all was well but the other PCs were noticing a huge delay in query response.

I move the NAS box downstairs to the router and now all the PCs are sharing the delay - sharing is caring! I was able to mitigate some of the latency by optimizing the queries, "trimming some of the fat", and adding relationships - but there is still a significant delay/latency.

I'm sure a more capable NAS box, better switches, CAT cables would help, but I can live with it...

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:41
My NAS is on a Gigabit Lan (Cat 6 or 5E Cabling)- I purchased a couple of small cheap switches, and works pretty effectively.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
My NAS is on a Gigabit Lan (Cat 6 or 5E Cabling)- I purchased a couple of small cheap switches, and works pretty effectively.
Same here. My internet speeds are 800+mbs wired/300+mbs WiFi - not the same as network bandwidth, I only give it as reference - the cables are all Cat 7, and all the switches are TP-Link 1gig.

But it still takes a few seconds to run any query that uses joins. Query's on a single table are reasonably fast, but I can still see a slight delay. Not sure if this is just the way it is or if there is some tweaking to do,

I know a couple of people in the Network industry, maybe I can coax them over for a cigar and beer to see if thy could fine-tune it for me...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I did a quick Google search for NAS speeds and here is what I found:

How fast are NAS servers?

Data transfer speeds for NAS devices typically fall in the 3 – 20MB/s range for consumer-level devices and up to about 110MB/s for high-end, modern NAS devices.

It appears I am getting about all I'm going to get with the hardware I have. Now that I know that, I can quit worrying about it and start living with it. I am NOT going to invest in a home server system.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Apologies in advance if this is teaching granny to suck eggs, but have you got a persistent connection in your db?
Never assume I know anything ;). And no, I have not, but as I start to tidy things up for her app (a cobblers children will go barefoot), I will definitely be adding that and other features.

I did download and LAN Speed test and did a test read/write to the BE folder: Write: 100.61mbps, Read: 60.23mbps.

Average numbers but tolerable. Once I get everything properly indexed and normalized, I'm sure it will be better, but had I known about the limitations of the NAS box, I may have spent a little more on a low-end server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom