Falklands? Argentina reasserts Falklands claim (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 14:42
So what half of Iraq's oil fields do you want? We have first dibs, we want the west...near our buddies Saudi Arabia. You can take the east with Iran looking over your shoulder...

That could be seen as a glib comment, however its probably not to far from the thinking of US foreign policy. No doubt Blair has already given his terms as what he gets out of this when he stands down. Being rid of the tosser would be welcome when he stands down, to know he will be at the very least making a fortune touring the US with his lectures though is a little annoying. Hes been lecturing us here for years.

Good to know the leaders of the free world will still be lectured by an idiot we have, finally, massively late, cast off.

Last edited:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:42
Rich said:
Yes you removed the legitimate head of state to get possession of the islands, we of course removed an illegal occupying force to regain what was rightfully ours

Ummm, illegal according to whom?
I sure don't recall a UN resolution giving you permission.....

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I'm sure if Russia invaded Alaska tommorrow noone would have to wait for a UN resolution to say that it was illegal.

UN resolutions aren't generally needed to defend your own land, you may need them to invade someone elses though.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, but according to the UN (ok somewhat vaguely) it may or not have been considered UK land in the WORLD's eyes. After all the UK would not come to the table to talk about it, and there were UN resolutions the UK chose to ignore.

R

Rich

FoFa said:
Ah, but according to the UN (ok somewhat vaguely) it may or not have been considered UK land in the WORLD's eyes. After all the UK would not come to the table to talk about it, and there were UN resolutions the UK chose to ignore.
That's why our allies backed us:rolleyes:

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
anyway, there's lots of sheep on the Falklands so we're not letting the Argies have them
Col

to be expected. UK. Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

emcf

Local time
Today, 22:42
ShaneMan said:
to be expected. UK. Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

well...to be truly accurate replace UK with Wales!!!:D

statsman

Local time
Today, 17:42
There's GOT to be oil or somthing there.
Why else would anyone get into a fight over the place.

Tay

likes garlic
Local time
emcf said:
well...to be truly accurate replace UK with Wales!!!:D
Don't forget Scotland and the Isle of Man!:D

I'm too young (like Rich ;) ) to remember the Falklands conflict, and admit that I don't know much about it. There was a tv programme on here recently about it, and showed an unbiased view, which taught me a fair amount. However, I do find it strange that the UK hangs onto them - wouldn't it just be easier to let Argentina have them?

According to Wikipedia, "The first settlement on the Falkland Islands, called Port Saint Louis, was founded by the French navigator and military commander Louis Antoine de Bougainville in 1764 on Berkeley Sound, in present-day Port Louis, East Falkland.".

Then, "in 1790, Britain officially ceded control of the islands to Spain, and renounced any and all colonial ambitions in South America, and its adjacent islands, as part of the Nootka Convention.".

And then, "Talks between British and Argentine foreign missions took place in the 1960s, but failed to come to any meaningful conclusion. A major sticking point in all the negotiations was that the two thousand inhabitants of mainly British descent preferred that the islands remained British territory.". So a large group of 'sheep lovers' were left to vote on the matter??? Bizarre.

Lastly to address KalelGmoon's question on page 1, yes, Brits do get taught about other countries in history lessons. I remember a year of lessons regarding Russia in the nineteenth century, as well as twentieth century Germany. Much more interesting than British propaganda in WWI. Unfortunately, we didn't get taught anything about France, which is a pain as I don't know anywhere near enough.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Tay said:
So a large group of 'sheep lovers' were left to vote on the matter??? Bizarre.
Why bizarre that the residents should decide?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
statsman said:
There's GOT to be oil or somthing there.
Why else would anyone get into a fight over the place.
Location, Location, Location.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
That's why our allies backed us:rolleyes:
I think the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance limited assistance the US could supply, hence at least in public, took a neutral approach.
Basically if two of your friends are fighting, don't take sides.

R

Rich

FoFa said:
Basically if two of your friends are fighting, don't take sides.
But if it's your enemies?:confused:
and god knows, according to Bush and Bliar the world's full of them:rolleyes:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
But if it's your enemies?:confused:
and god knows, according to Bush and Bliar the world's full of them:rolleyes:
Humm, I think once again you are wrong.
It's tearrits, da world is full a duh tearrits. :p

Tay

likes garlic
Local time
lagbolt said:
Why bizarre that the residents should decide?

Sorry, it was a poor attempt at humour - I didn't say residents ;) . I'll get my coat...

mamandeno

Dabbler in Access
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:42
Hint for the american contributors.

If you wish to pull the moral highground out from under an englishmen's feet, concerning hostile invasion of another country and/or unjustified acts of agression, including taking of sovereignty.. ..

Read up on New Zealand history in the 1800's, when it was British colony. More particularly, Google the word "Parihaka"

People who live in glass houses ... ... ...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
mamandeno said:
Hint for the american contributors.

If you wish to pull the moral highground out from under an englishmen's feet, concerning hostile invasion of another country and/or unjustified acts of agression, including taking of sovereignty.. ..

Read up on New Zealand history in the 1800's, when it was British colony. More particularly, Google the word "Parihaka"

People who live in glass houses ... ... ...

You really think that America can ever take the moral high ground on taking a country from its indigenous inhabitants?

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
mamandeno said:
Read up on New Zealand history in the 1800's, when it was British colony.
New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth. Its a far flung part - and we've flung most of them as far as we can;)

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth. Its a far flung part - and we've flung most of them as far as we can;)

They also seem to enjoy whooping your ass at your own game :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom