fetching multiple data from other file/sheet (1 Viewer)

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:58
Hello, i need to do basically this task. From fileA, fetch through a dropdown or whatever else if better, data from fileB
I can do that, bu to me it is not nice, as i need to have both open..so i might copy this data to fetch from withen the same file A, if there are not other way to do

Now this is the hardest part
The hardest is how to fetch from mmultiple colon
I made an exmaple..data are accounting type, but to make it simplier i'll use other things
lets say in the fileB, the source of data i have
COlumnA ColumnB
color red
black
material concret
wood

and so on

Is it possible to have that when choosing data with dropdown menu, first i queryt from columnA, and then i can choose the element from columnB..it's like a "double fetch"
at the end, in my FileA, i want on a column the data from ColumnA and on next column data from ColumnB

Is it possible?
thank you

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
i make a scheme for a better example:
this is the sheet where i got the data to look for, sheetB

TYPESUBTYPE
colorblue
red
material
concret
wood

now on another sheet, SheetA i have 2 column that i need to fill from SheetBe. What i think it should be a dropdwon that look at TYPE first, then if i select COLOR i will have a new choice BLUE, RED, if i choose MATERIAL i would have a new choice CONCRET WOOD

at the end SHEETA will be

colorred
colorblue
colorred
materialwood

and so on...

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:58
In Access database this is called cascading or dependent comboboxes. An often-discussed topic and many examples available.

I have never seen this done in Excel but suppose it could be. Yes, I expect it would involve dropdown (combobox) feature and a bunch of VBA.

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
hope can be done..but i see no help till now..looks like it is not easy..miay be a workaround?somehting similar?

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
No! :(
I edited my last post to include a link on how it is done in Excel.

Found with a simple Google? :(
you mean you found the solution with google? i did not even know how to search..don't know how to name this

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 03:58
Well I found what looks to be a solution.
It is for you to carry on from there.

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
i am testing and seems nodifficult, but may be there is an errror in that procedure?
i can go right till the main dropdown list
When i create the dependency dropdown using the indirect command in the validation data, i get an error
For what i see the name of the list "fruit" and "vegetables" are never used..so where is the dependency between fruit/vegetable and produce?

following this

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No idea, it has been years (6 at least) since I ever had to do it. :)
Basically I seem to recall it is structured much like a table that you would use in Access, looking in one column and retrieving anything that matches in another column.
Review the Google link, that might be better to understand, but the logic seems the same?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is this related to your other thread?

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
Is this related to your other thread?
ys, these are 2 part..this one is the most important, the import caneventually be donemanually, copy paste from file to file

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
No idea, it has been years (6 at least) since I ever had to do it. :)
Basically I seem to recall it is structured much like a table that you would use in Access, looking in one column and retrieving anything that matches in another column.
Review the Google link, that might be better to understand, but the logic seems the same?
ok i amfollowing those site for excel instructions
made a step forward, did not know that command are initalian, so i need to use indiretto instead of indirect
But after that i receive the error "The Source currently evaluates to an error. Do you want to continue?" that also the site say it happen
The site says it works, but for me no, the related dropdown don't show data
May be different excel version?those tutorial ook all really old

latest i follow is this
seemsthe clearest and easy...but wheni get to the dependacy dropdown, i create the dropdown but it is empty
everything seems fine though
if you want to check...

Attachments

• pntest.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 55

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
getting mad..seems so easy, i follow stepby stepbut the dependent dropdown don't give rresults

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
ok eventually i sdone it.none of the tutorial says correctly what to do exaclty

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
ok eventually i sdone it.none of the tutorial says correctly what to do exaclty
So now post up your own tutorial on how to do it. :)
It could help others? After all that is what these forums are about, give and take?

stefanocps

Registered User.
Local time
So now post up your own tutorial on how to do it. :)
It could help others? After all that is what these forums are about, give and take?
they just don't specify clearly that the name of the items contained in the first dropdown, must exactly match the name of the cell containg the dependent list. They do it without saying that this is a crucial step, so on emay think can give a different name. But it is crucial to create the relation!
for th eforum i could put the link from where to get the tutorial and add this crucial part

Now i am trying to understand if it is possible to use more than 1 word in the man item list..there are instrucions..but see if it go well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom