File searching/opening (1 Viewer)

JC10001

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:21
Hello everyone,

I'm am fairly new to Access and I am having difficulty finding out how to do the following:

I would like to search for files in a directory (by name), then display the results in a list box. I would then like to be able to double click or press a button to open a particular file in Word, Paint, etc (whatever program is associated with that file).

Is this possible? Even if someone could show me how to do a search in a directory and display the results in this manner it would be a great help.

I wasn't sure if this topic belongs in the Queries section or this section. I think it could be a bit of both. Please forgive me if I made a mistake.

Thanks,

JC

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:21
I think you can fiind answers to most of your issues doing a search of the forum, but we can point you in the right direction.

What version of Access are you using. If Access 2000 or higher, do you have the office suite also or just Access?

JC10001

Registered User.
Local time
dcx693 said:
I think you can fiind answers to most of your issues doing a search of the forum, but we can point you in the right direction.

Point away.

dcx693 said:
What version of Access are you using. If Access 2000 or higher, do you have the office suite also or just Access?

I'm using Access 2002 and I have the Office Suite.

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:21
Last edited:

JC10001

Registered User.
Local time
dcx693 said:
I found a good article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on filling a list box with filenames. It's written for Access 2000, but should work for XP also: ACC2000: How to Fill a List Box with File Names and Enable Printing of Files from a Form. You can ignore the part about printing files.

Here's a link to an article about using the Windows API to start an application based on a file extension: ACC2000: Start Files or Hyperlinks with Windows API ShellExecute().

That should get you started!

Thank you so much. This will be a big help. I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom