Filter upper case (1 Viewer)

emartel

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:05
Hi,
Is it possible to filter out entries beginning with a capital letter with a query?
Ive tried Like UCase, but that doesn't work, and there is no upper case wild card.
(I am creating a book index and want to have a look only at the entries that are people's names)

many thanks

richary

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:05
Use

>="A" and <="Z"

as your criteria in the query for the name field

john471

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:05
Try using criteria something like the below; see if it works for you.

InStr(1,Left([tblYourTableName].[YourFieldName],1),UCase$(Left([tblYourTableName].[YourFieldName],1)),0)>0

Someone else may well have a more efficient solution.

Last edited:

richary

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:05
Actaully, I take that back (to a degree). Access doesn't appear to include names begining with "Z" in the above.

You would need (I think)

Asc([Name])>="65" And Asc([Name])<="90"

This seems cumbersome. There must be a simpler way??

emartel

Registered User.
Local time
Bah, they dont work. Well, richary's doesnt Im afraid, and John, thanks for your reply but it would take me longer to set up a form than it would to just manually go through my own index. Thanks anyway. If anyone knows of a quick simple solution....?

john471

Registered User.
Local time
emartel said:
...John, thanks for your reply but it would take me longer to set up a form than it would to just manually go through my own index. Thanks anyway. If anyone knows of a quick simple solution....?

You don't ned to set up a form to use my suggestion. Just modify the statement in my previous post to suit your underelying table/query and field names (where I've used "tblYourTableName" and "YourFieldName") then put that as criteria in a query.

emartel

Registered User.
Local time
thanks for that, but I am confused and can't get it to work. Do you mean that I simply replace [tblYourTableName].[YourFieldName] for my names in the query criteria??

InStr(1,Left([tblYourTableName].[YourFieldName],1),UCase$(Left([tblYourTableName].[YourFieldName],1)),0)>0

john471

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Can you post the SQL that you have that gives you the data you are trying to examine ?

From design view of the query, go to the View menu, than choose SQL view, and copy what you've got there and paste it into a reply.

emartel

Registered User.
Local time
Here it is: The first part is from when I was having a go at Richary's suggestion, but it gives the field names.

SELECT IndexArt.[Indexed Word], IndexArt.Pages, IndexArt.Coloured, IndexArt.Notes
FROM IndexArt
WHERE (((IndexArt.[Indexed Word]) Between "A*" And "Z*") AND ((IndexArt.Notes) Not Like "*"))
ORDER BY IndexArt.[Indexed Word];

thanks
Ed

john471

Registered User.
Local time
OK,

I don't know what your intention is with the "not like "*"" bit, are you saying you want to exclude anything that has a note ? Consider using Is Null instead.

Here it is disregarding the "Notes" criteria

Code:
SELECT IndexArt.[Indexed Word], IndexArt.Pages, IndexArt.Coloured, IndexArt.Notes
FROM IndexArt
WHERE (((InStr(1,Left([IndexArt].[Indexed Word],1),UCase$(Left([IndexArt].[Indexed Word],1)),0))>0))

Here is one including your notes Not like "*"
Code:
FROM IndexArt
WHERE (((IndexArt.Notes) Not Like "*") AND ((InStr(1,Left([IndexArt].[Indexed Word],1),UCase$(Left([IndexArt].[Indexed Word],1)),0))>0))

And here is one using Is Null instead
Code:
FROM IndexArt
WHERE (((IndexArt.Notes) Is Null) AND ((InStr(1,Left([IndexArt].[Indexed Word],1),UCase$(Left([IndexArt].[Indexed Word],1)),0))>0))

Let me know how you go.

emartel

Registered User.
Local time
Fantastic!!
That's really kind of you; You can't possibly understand how boring creating this Art Index is, and how much further boredom you will have saved me by showing me how to do this!!!
many many thanks.

Last edited:

john471

Registered User.
Local time
I'm going to take that to mean you got the result you wanted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom