Force a 0 in Month Function (1 Viewer)

mstorer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:39
I am working on a report that excludes all information prior to the current month. I have a date field in short date format and it would be easy enough to simply put in a new date constraint each month. I would like automate this and I am going down the path of pulling out the year and month using the following expression in my query:
MonthAndYear: Year([Accounting Date]) & Month([Accounting Date])
I placed the following contraint to eliminate this month:
<Year(Now()) & Month(Now())

This would work exept that the month in the above expressions is not always two characters (i.e. 01, 09, 12). Is there a way to force a 0 in the above expression for January through September? Or, please let me know if there is a better approach. Thanks for any insight!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:39
Look at the DateDiff function using units of Days. If the difference between the beginning of the month and the date in question is negative, it is from a prior time.

Now, to get the date of the first of the month, that is a DateAdd function and a DatePart function.

You want to take the DatePart function to get the day of the month as a number from 1-31. Then subtract that number from 1. Then do DateAdd on today and that negative or zero difference. The resulting date is the day of the first of the month.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:39
Use the Format() function to extract the year and month.

MonthAndYear: Format([Accounting Date],"yyyymm")
and in criteria

< Format(Date(),"yyyymm")

BTW - Only use the Now() function when you need the time component of a date.

mstorer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:39
Brilliant! I tried both methods and they worked fine. I have used Access for several years now and am embarrased to say I had never used either the DatePart or the Format Functions. I am positive they will be a real benefit in the future. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom