Form Design size (1 Viewer)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:00
When you Create-Form Design the grid can be resized with the mouse.
Yet this size is never the size of the Form when it is Opened.
Is there is a method to set the Form to its design mode size?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:00
Try setting your display options to overlapping windows.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
That's under File-Options ? I can't see "Display Options " showing anywhere.

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:00
That's under File-Options ? I can't see "Display Options " showing anywhere.

Hope this helps File options Current Data base Regards Ypma
1590570813521.png
1590570813521.png

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:00
I can't get a clear view of the image @ypma was kind enough to post...in case you can't, you go to Options - Current Database - and the actual name is Document Window Option.

Set it to Overlapping Windows.

Linq ;0)>

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks all, that worked fine. Makes Access a lot easier to work with now the Form size is following orders.
Is there any downside or unknown effect from using Overlapping Windows? A quick test seems not...
Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks all, that worked fine. Makes Access a lot easier to work with now the Form size is following orders.
Is there any downside or unknown effect from using Overlapping Windows? A quick test seems not...
Thanks
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:00
Thanks

hi Kirk,

Glad you got it. I always use overlapping windows! No downside unless windows go in the back and something bigger covers them -- I customize my QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) and put Switch Windows on there so its quick to get to. A big upside is that you can see more ;) ~

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Cool, thanks Crystal. Don't know why Access didn't make this default, so Form size is rock solid.
I have had occasions when you can drag a Form and it keeps that new size, but never nailed down how/what does it.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Cool, thanks Crystal. Don't know why Access didn't make this default, so Form size is rock solid.
I have had occasions when you can drag a Form and it keeps that new size, but never nailed down how/what does it.

you're welcome! I size and move the form in form view and then switch to design view, change some property like a label caption ('pretend' change it if you don't really want to make it different -- change it and then change it back to what it was). Then save in design view. The size and position should stick!

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
ps, Kirk, in case you want to customize your Quick Access Toolbar quickly ... you can import mine ;) Here is a video about that Switch Windows is on that one, along with other commands I like a lot.

Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) -- Customize, Import/Export

Download my Quick Access Toolbar customization file from MsAccessGurus:
http://msaccessgurus.com/tool/QAT.htm

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:00
I also use overlapping windows in all my applications and agree there are no downsides.
That is unless you find having multiple tabs open at once beneficial.
Personally I think they are a distraction to end users.

I also find that overlapping windows display works perfectly with Automatic form resizing

Unfortunately there is currently no way of making overlapping windows the default for the many people who prefer that setting

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
...Don't know why Access didn't make this default/QUOTE]

I think a lot of us wonder the same thing! That's the way it was since the beginning...until v2007. Changing that is the first thing I do after naming a new app!

Linq ;0)>

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
When you Create-Form Design the grid can be resized with the mouse.
Yet this size is never the size of the Form when it is Opened.
Is there is a method to set the Form to its design mode size?
If you are referring to what I am thinking, (which is different than overlapping), this used to flummox me all the time. I'd create a form in one size, but once it fired up in Form view, it would be a different size.
1) if you have a smaller form, you may need to set it to Popup =Yes (properties window), otherwise when you press F5 to show the form, it will take up the whole window, rather than the smaller size you have designed.
2) Otherwise, you may have to a) resize it, b) save it, c) close and re-open it for it to show a smaller size, once enlarged.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Overlapping forms can be influenced by the window sizes of other forms; e.g. you might get a form behaving as you wish, open some other form then maximize it in code (or just use the control box icons in the form window header) and close it. That perfect form may very well take on the size characteristic of the last closed window and become maximized itself. Here's a method that I wrote down a long time ago ( I think it's from Albert. D. Kallal but I'm not sure)
In design view -
autocenter: yes; border: sizable; autoresize: no

switch to form view
size the window, save, switch to design view
border: thin; min-max: none
form view - save

I can't recall having an issue after that. One thing that might have to be considered sometimes is the area reserved for vertical scroll bars. If not set to "none" (or is it no?) when not needed, sometimes that area remains as background when the scroll bar is not visible, even if it's not a continuous form.

(which is different than overlapping)
Not sure but I think the term overlapping here was only used to refer to the db option of having tabbed forms or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom