Form Layout View takes forever to appear when Field List is included (1 Viewer)

snappyfridge

Local time
Today, 07:43
Seems like Access is filtering through the entire list of every field in every table before showing the fields associated with the form layout view. It is debilitatingly slow. Any suggestions to improve speed?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:43
Hi
It would depend on whether the table is based on 1 table or Multiple Tables?

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 04:43
Where are you seeing this slowness?
How are you deducing this is related to "filtering through the entire list of every field in every table"?
Maybe you can post a video of this problem in action?

snappyfridge

Local time
Where are you seeing this slowness?
How are you deducing this is related to "filtering through the entire list of every field in every table"?
Maybe you can post a video of this problem in action?
Tom -
Any time I select the "Add Existing Fields" button in the Tools section of the ribbon, typically when I'm modifying a form in Layout mode. Regardless of the complexity of the form I'm editing, or the complexity of the query behind the form, I wait what seems to me to be an exorbitant amount of time (e.g. 27 seconds) until the Field List appears. Perhaps I'm mistaken about the "filtering through the entire list of every field in every table," but as my database has grown, I seem to wait longer and longer for that field list to appear, again regardless of the complexity of the form or underlying query.

CarlettoFed

Local time
Today, 13:43
To edit a form you must use Structure mode. It seems a little difficult to help you with concrete advice without having the database available to test it.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Tom -
Any time I select the "Add Existing Fields" button in the Tools section of the ribbon, typically when I'm modifying a form in Layout mode. Regardless of the complexity of the form I'm editing, or the complexity of the query behind the form, I wait what seems to me to be an exorbitant amount of time (e.g. 27 seconds) until the Field List appears. Perhaps I'm mistaken about the "filtering through the entire list of every field in every table," but as my database has grown, I seem to wait longer and longer for that field list to appear, again regardless of the complexity of the form or underlying query.
Hm. I can't remember ever trying to add controls to an existing form with that approach, so I'm not sure what the problem would be.

However, logically, layout view is a compromise between the design and form views, in which data does display as if it were a normal view, but aspects of the form can be modified as if it were in design view.

It's quite likely that trying to overload that form with the task of adding additional fields does result in seriously degraded performance. Why not just design in design view?

snappyfridge

Local time
Hm. I can't remember ever trying to add controls to an existing form with that approach, so I'm not sure what the problem would be.

However, logically, layout view is a compromise between the design and form views, in which data does display as if it were a normal view, but aspects of the form can be modified as if it were in design view.

It's quite likely that trying to overload that form with the task of adding additional fields does result in seriously degraded performance. Why not just design in design view?
I'm experiencing the same delay in bringing up the Field List in BOTH Layout View and Design View (e.g. 83 seconds for the first instance, then 35 seconds for subsequent instances while editing the same form).

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
I'm experiencing the same delay in bringing up the Field List in BOTH Layout View and Design View (e.g. 83 seconds for the first instance, then 35 seconds for subsequent instances while editing the same form).
80+ --> 30+

That definitely confirms my assumption about the relative complication of layout and design.

How complicated in the query that supplies records from which the field list is drawn?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:43
Other basics - are fields used for criteria and sorting indexed?

Is any indexing being ignored due to using like *abc* or calculated values

where are the tables in relation to the form? Local or server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom