Formatting text when updated (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 09:44
Not sure if this would go in the VBA sub-forum or not.
I have a sub-form that has textboxes that are just displaying general information. I have various on change/after updates/requeries throughout my form and sub-forms within that form that could cause this particular sub-form to update with new information.

I had someone ask if it is possible to temporarily high lite the box to bring it to their attention that it changed. Maybe even do a little progress bar. Just something to draw their eyes to it.

I personally don't think it would be needed, since during a certain stage of the process, it would be updating pretty often and would become distracting with it always happening, but I figured I would at least try it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:44
Hi. What part did you need help implementing?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Are you also Saving the data in that subform? If so, you might be able to hook into the BeforeUpdate event and test the control's .OldValue vs. .Value

tmyers

Local time
Hi. What part did you need help implementing?
If its possible to have the textboxes in subform 1 have a kind of "flash" update when the main form or other subforms with related data are updated. So that way when the subform is also updated, the textboxes are momentarily high lighted to draw the users eyes to it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
If its possible to have the textboxes in subform 1 have a kind of "flash" update when the main form or other subforms with related data are updated. So that way when the subform is also updated, the textboxes are momentarily high lighted to draw the users eyes to it.
Well, one way to do that is in the AfterUpdate of the form used to change the data, the subform is requeried and the changed data highlighted.

In Access, you can push data easily, but pulling data is not as trivial. To clarify that, you can easily cause something to happen elsewhere, but sitting and waiting and reacting until something happens somewhere else is not easy to do.

tmyers

Local time
Well, one way to do that is in the AfterUpdate of the form used to change the data, the subform is requeried and the changed data highlighted.

In Access, you can push data easily, but pulling data is not as trivial. To clarify that, you can easily cause something to happen elsewhere, but sitting and waiting and reacting until something happens somewhere else is not easy to do.
That makes sense.
I personally don't like the idea since it will end up happening a lot and be very distracting. I can understand why they want it, but at the same time the old Excel form we used doesn't do that.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That makes sense.
I personally don't like the idea since it will end up happening a lot and be very distracting. I can understand why they want it, but at the same time the old Excel form we used doesn't do that.
Okay, good luck! Perhaps, others will chime in with possible alternatives. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom