Forms conditional formatting & DataBars, v. slow. Is there an alternative or way to speed up? The numbers are shown instantly (1 Viewer)

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:59
Hi,
Have quite a complex form, lots of fields (need them all on one screen)
Would really like to use databars to show rough amounts on 2 fields, at a glance
However they are slow to display & the whole form is "calculating" for 7 to 15 seconds, & again if you scroll down, perhaps 30 records in total, 10 off screen.

There are some function calls in the underlying query, which will be searching through quite a large table.
Could understand if this took time for the numbers to show up but they are all instant even if scroll to the last record, so think all the data is loaded v.fast.

So not sure why the conditional formatting has such a dramatic effect, I would think that calculating the length of the bar from the value & min/max etc. would be extremely fast.

Is there something I might be able to do speed things up, even make my own shaded bar somehow.
I suspect it is because underlying calculations in the query, perhaps revisited each time for the CF to work out the length of the bar.
I could make a table from the query & base the form on that with just numbers I guess but I do adjust the range on the form so would have to keep remaking.

As I type this seems like a good idea, unless there is some advise.

thanks I/A

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 09:59
CF can be very slow in Access. But as people have already told you, you cannot make your own bars in a continuous form. Change one control's properties you change them all.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 09:59
If you cannot get cf in a timely manner and you need those bars then you will likely need an unbound form. That is a lot of work for limited payoff.

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt replies

Took my own advise & making a table & then the form is based on that,
so far very fast but a bit of coding to fully implement but not too much.

Its strange, done this a few times, really stuck on a problem, think to ask for help and whilst trying to explain my issue think of ways round it myself.
Usually get better answers from forum members but sometimes gets my brain working.

Thanks again, will see how it works when fully implemented but seems promising.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sometimes instead of using conditional formatting you can use rich text formatting instead. Not clear what your final output looks like but provide an exact and a brief explanation of how to derive it and I might be able come up with a solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom