Forms problem (1 Viewer)

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
Today, 15:54
In reply to the Zip suggestion. Zipping PDF files as always been a non-starter for me. However I have not turned the two pages into three pages. I will update the files and then continue.

I have been successful.

A student of mine who I met in 1998, is now running a school in western Uganda, next to the Mountains of the Moon. Unfortunetaly he has been raided by gentleman from the Peoples Republic of Democratic Union of the Congo and stole all his PCs, and Internet materials, including the masts as well. He has asked me to creatye a database to run his school. He uses the IB curriculum. I have had no problems with the IB level. It is the MYP level that has given me grief.

The IB Middle Years Program (MYP) runs for five years. All exams are moderated internally. Students must choose six subjects form five groups. Dominic's school offers 24 subjects, from which the students choose thier optons. This mean 24 X 5 Forms covering all options. I am having a problem with a system I am using, which has become unreliable. Please see the three PDF pages and let me know what the hell I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• Access P1.pdf
    631.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Access P2.pdf
    557.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Access P3.pdf
    596.9 KB · Views: 73

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi
Are you able to upload a zipped copy of the database with no Confidential Data?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:54
This mean 24 X 5 Forms covering all options.
You don't need a separate form to cover all options. Your tables are not defined correctly. When you have more than one of something, you have "many" and "many" means a separate table. Rather than multiple columns you end up with multiple rows.

You would not make a student table with one row and a column for each student, so why would you make a column for each subject or each test?

PS, posting PDF's makes much more work for us than posting pictures. But we will need to see the database to actually help with the schema.

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
I am including a copy of a Query. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Query1.pdf
    591.7 KB · Views: 72

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
This is how I launch a subject for Data Entry.

Attachments

• Subject Selection.pdf
    587.9 KB · Views: 89

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Do you know you can copy and paste a picture directly into this message board? Pdf's need to be opened separately which is unnecessary and annoying!

Based on a previous post, I strongly suspect your data structure is incorrect, and your problem would be solved by correcting that, but the only pictures that will tell us is one of your table's relationships and fields..
It would be much better to upload a sample of your database with anonymised data.
Compact and repair then Zip the file and upload it.

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
I would like to be frank with all of you. You are undoutabely all at the top of your VBA game, which is why I use the Forum. But I am not. I am at the top of my game, which is the psychology of teaching practice. I am 87 years and retired in the year 2003. I had previously spent 10 years as a Senior Lecturer in Education at the University of Greenwich, Avery Hill campus.
What none of you have been able to recognise is that I am struggling with VBA. You are treating me as a professional VBA user, which I am not. None of you has ever discussed my obvious shortcummigs because you are not trained teachers. A professionally trained teacher would know that I am strugging simply because of the way I respond to your questions. In most cases I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Where I proceed now will be determined by the response I get from you all.
Terence Driscoll
London
Tuesday 27 June 2023

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:54
Seems to me, the only things that were asked have nothing to do with vba. They suggested to attach a copy of your database and that instead of providing pdf files, that you simply add a screen shot into your message which would make assisting you easier in allowing them to provide guidance.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:54
We are happy to help you but we need something to work with. PDF's don't help, plus they prevent anyone from looking at your problem unless they are sitting at a computer where they can download and open a PDF file. Many members scan questions using a phone and they can't see PDFs at all.

We can tell by looking at the picture of the query that the design is flawed. The second table should have one ROW for each subject. You have 24 columns. The table should probably be just these three fields
PupilSubjectID (autonumber, PK)
PupilID (FK to tblPupils)
SubID (FK to tblSubjects)
Additional fields might be useful as you will see if you look at my example. This table is commonly called a Junction Table because it connects two other tables. In your case, it connects Pupils to the Classes they chose. I will post a relationship diagram from a very simple sample. It is Employees-Classes. You have Pupils-Classes so the subject is very similar at least in this small area. My junction table has several additional columns, It includes a completion date because this database is more of a training concept than formal classes so each student would be doing an independent study. The Junction table also includes a final grade. and several fields that are used to track changes.

1687892812467.png

The reason you have so many queries is because the tables are not designed correctly. We would like to teach you how to construct a valid schema that will allow you to optimize data storage by eliminating duplication and to minimize the number of queries and forms you need.

Attachments

• ManyToMany_20230116.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom