Front end db keeps crashing for 1 user only. (1 Viewer)

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:27
I have a database that is split with a front end version and the backend. The backend is stored on a shared mapped network drive. 2 people use the database, generally at the same times during the day. Each person has there own version of the front end forms that they save and use from their desktop computer. Myself and one other person. I haven't been having any issues with using the forms FE, but my partner is constantly having her frontend file crash. When she first opens it and after she has been using it for awhile. I almost never have these issues even though we are both using our own same copy of the front end on each of our desktops. We both have access 2013 and windows 10. I'm not sure if there is something else different with our computer systems. We work in different departments. I just can't figure out why her forms are constantly crashing, getting corrupted, getting error messages. She is constantly getting error messages "unrecognized data format". The past 2 days she keeps getting the error message "disk i/o error during read " I usually just have her download another copy of the forms again once we know the file is corrupted. It seems like she gets less errors and less crashes when I dont have my version of the front end forms open. If I close my forms some of her error messages or issues sometimes go away. It's not like we are working on the same records. We are often entering data Into the same tables, with the same forms but different records. The forms are pretty complex. I had a tab control with about 18 different subforms.

I made some changes to my forms so less data would be pulled at one time. I got rid of tab control. Now I have 1 main form with text boxes and buttons and 1 large subform container that displays different subforms depending on what button you press.

I also changed all my forms setting to no locks because I had it before as lock with editing. I thought it was causing problems.

Even with these changes my partner still keeps having crashes with her forms. It's not always consistent either when the crashes happen but they have increased lately. It only happens for my partner. The forms work great for me.

Any ideas on how to fix error messages and crashes for my partner front end forms. Its really hard to troubleshoot when my forms work perfectly and hers don't.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:27
Hi. Please understand anything I say is purely speculation because we can't see your database and how it's used, there was a bug with Windows 10, so you might make sure your computers are exactly the same by checking the build numbers. If they're actually the same, then the other contributing factors would be the hardware used. For example, her computer could be older than yours or her network card is acting up, etc. The last contributing factor I could think of is the user. It's quite possible you're both using the database in different manners. I don't mean you're both working on different forms or records, but maybe something like doing something not expected by the program (can't think of a good example right now, but it could be as drastic as improperly shutting down the computer).

Last edited:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:27
Just guessing but *disk i/o error* typically points to a network connection issue. Sounds like the User might have a bad network card or the cable might be going bad.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:27
It would be a really good idea to find the owner's manual for your partner's machine and determine how to run startup diagnostics to non-destructively test the disk drive and network card. I can assure you (having recently had a disk crash myself) that file corruption after a disk I/O error is not merely a good bet. It is damned near a sure thing.

It might also be interesting to determine if your partner's machine is crashing for other programs besides Access. Because it is HIGHLY unlikely that the hardware "knows" that Access is running so acts up only for it.

If you have admin rights, get to your partner's machine's Control Panel and launch Admin Tools. You want the Event Viewer and look at the System logs. You should be able to spot I/O errors among the other system logs because they will be flagged at the least with a caution yellow triangle if not a red icon. There could also be an application events log worth examining for errors. IF you see any critical events, your partner's machine is in dire need of assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom