Frontend Backend Problem (1 Viewer)

DT

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:06
I have a database split with a frontend (FE) and backend (BE). Both reside on our network. I give a copy of the FE to all users. The FE is linked to itself so if I make a change to the network copy the next time a user opens theirs it tells them to close down and it recopies itself. This works really good. The problem we're having is people going and making a shortcut to the networked FE. So WHENEVER they open their FE everyone gets a message saying to close and recopy. The database is about 10mb but for someone across with a slow intranet connection it can take a bit to download. I'm looking ways to prevent users from accessing the networked FE. Can you simply hide it?

Thanks,
DT

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:06
Your setup is wrong. [in my opinion]

Each front end needs to be installed onto the users hard drive and each front end must be linked to the one back end on the server. Search around for this topic is well covered within this forum.

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:06
This is more a procedural issue. Users should be instructed to not do this. Its not something that should happen accidentally. But you can put the FE in a READ only folder on the server. Then have the automated deployment copy from that folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom