Function To Return Result of a Query (1 Viewer)

AJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:42
Hi

I'll try and explain this in a simplistic way as I tend to overcomplicate my questions. I think my problem will be revealed quite readily by the code.

I am trying to assign the result of a query to a variable so I can use it in a formula. From what I can gather this is possible by way of a Custom Function or Assigning the SQL result directly. I am posting each as a separate thread.

This question relates to the function.

I am trying to modify some code that was suggested in an earlier question. That question was resolved in a different manner, so this is the first time I have tried to do this.

Here is the code

Code:
Public Function Xrate(ByVal dtTransDate As Date, ByVal strCurrency As String) As Single
   'Declare Variables
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim db As DAO.Database
   'Define Variables
    Set db = CurrentDb
    strSQL = "SELECT tblFXRates.fxXRate FROM tblFXRates  WHERE tblFXRates.[fxDate] = #" & Format(dtTransDate, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AND " & _
             "tblFXRates.[fxCurrency] = '" & strCurrency & "';"

Xrate = NZ(db.OpenRecordSet(strSQL)(0),(0)

Set db = Nothing
 End Function

To test the function I am entering, in the Immediate Window, both:

?XRate(12/18/2015,"USD") and
?XRate(12/18/2015,USD)

Both times I get a "Compile Error: Syntax Error" indicated on the line:

I suspect that the root of the error is in the SQL but I have quadruple checked and it is copied exactly as written.

Can someone point out where I am going wrong?

Thank you very much for your time

A/R

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:42
I understand your wish to create oneliners but in this case you should rewrite your code into a more readable one.

Code:
Public Function Xrate(ByVal dtTransDate As Date, ByVal strCurrency As String) As Single
   'Declare Variables
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    dim rs as recordset

'Define Variables
    Set db = CurrentDb
    strSQL = "SELECT tblFXRates.fxXRate FROM tblFXRates  WHERE tblFXRates.[fxDate] = #" & Format(dtTransDate, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AND " & _
             "tblFXRates.[fxCurrency] = '" & strCurrency & "';"

set rs = db.OpenRecordSet(strSQL)

'    Xrate = Nz(rs.fields(0),(0)
    Xrate = Nz(rs.fields(0),0)

Set db = Nothing
 End Function

Or you can try this:
Xrate = Nz(db.OpenRecordSet(strSQL)(0),0)

As you can see, the first one is better readable. If you did write it like that, you could see that your SQL was not the problem.

HTH:D

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
the problem is here:

you shoud probably use the DLookup function, instead of creating all those object

XRate = NZ(DLookUp("fxXRate","tblFXRates","[fxDate] = #" & Format(dtTransDate, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AND " & [fxCurrency] = '" & strCurrency & "'"), 0)

AJR

Registered User.
Local time
Guus2005

Thanks for the comment

I don't actually know what a "one liner" is and I'm not sure what "The first one" refers to. Forgive my inexperience. I noted that I included one line twice (commented). That was a leftover from an attempt to get it to work. I will try your suggestion and see if it works though.

Thanks

A/R

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:42
the problem is here:

you shoud probably use the DLookup function, instead of creating all those object

XRate = NZ(DLookUp("fxXRate","tblFXRates","[fxDate] = #" & Format(dtTransDate, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AND " & [fxCurrency] = '" & strCurrency & "'"), 0)
Hi arnelgp,

FYI: creating all those objects are faster than the execution of the domain functions. Please refer to http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1068234&postcount=2

Share & Enjoy!

AJR

Registered User.
Local time
Guus2005

That worked quite nicely. Thanks Again

A/R

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom