Get the Count of a multiple null Fields based on other Field Criteria with AND operator (1 Viewer)

mrk777

Local time
Today, 11:35
I have a table of Employee Details and I would like to identify the count of a few fields combinedly and identify the count to get the progress % at a Function level

Emp Table:

Emp IDFunction IDReadiness StatusTime FrameCriticality_Reason
12Change Likely within 1 YearExpert
22Change Likely within 2 Years< 2 YearsMain Source
31Change Likely within 4 Years<4 YearsMain Source
42< 3 YearsHard to find
53Main source
63Change Likely within 4 Years<4 YearsMain Source
71Change Likely within 3 Years<3 YearsHard to find

Along with that, I have a table with all the Function IDs along with Function Names as below:

Function_IDFunction_Name
1​
Accounts Payable
2​
F&A Excellence
3​
FP&A
4​
GL Accounting
5​
Revenue Operations
6​
Tax
7​
Treasury

Now I would like to use the QUERY and get the counts based on the blank fields from the Employee Table at a record level grouped at Function Level:

Function NameHead CountBlank Count Status
Accounts Payable20
F&A Excellence32 (as there are only 2 records with blanks related to that specific function)
FP&A21 (as there is only one record with blanks for that specific function)

Note: the count has to be taken at a record level and if any of the highlighted fields are blank then that record needs to be treated as 1 and then combine at a Function Level based on Function Name/Function ID.

I also would like to calculate the progress like Head Count - Blank Count Status/ Head Count would give me the Progress %.

Note: If there are no blanks then it should show 100% and that means fields have been updated completely for the specific functions.

Please help!!

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 01:05
First, 'blank' is an ambigous term. Fields can be NULL (without any data) and fields can be a zero length string (''). Which do you have? There is a difference.

I am going to assume yours are NULL. This SQL will derive all the counts you need from the Emp table. You can then use that query in another one to get the specific results in another query:

Code:
SELECT FunctionID, COUNT(FunctionID) AS TotalFunctions, SUM(iif(isnull(Status),1,0)) AS NullStati
FROM Emp
GROUP BY FunctionID

From there you can link in your Function table and then do your math.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:05
use an aggregate query

and use sum rather than count for your readiness column

something like

Code:
SELECT FunctionID, count(*) as headcount, -sum(Readiness is not null) as BlankCount,  -sum(Readiness is not null)/count(*) as progress
FROM myTable
GROUP BY FunctionID
ORDER BY FunctionID
note the - before the sum, this is because True is -1

edit: much the same as Plog's

mrk777

Local time
Today, 11:35
NULL values must be analyzed from 3 fields Readiness Status; Time Frame; Criticality_Reason, not from only a single field.

I have mentioned the example data above for your reference. Thank you!

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 01:05
Our methods can be expanded to accomplish that. Give it a shot. When you get stuck or it doesn't work exactly, post back here and explain what you have and what isn't working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom