Getting to Grips with VB.Net ADO SQL queries (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:43
OK, but I'm here scratching my head. I must have misunderstood what that means because I thought tables in an Access back end file were involved here. I realize you can create these at home, but you must be converting them to something else; perhaps SqlServer. Otherwise, I don't see how you can take a back end file of tables to work and upload the file to the network and have the file type recognized if it's not registered in the system.

The ACE Engine can be installed without Access. Then ODBC can link to an accdb file. This configuration would also seem odd.

It would make far more sense to install SQL Server as the back end.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:43
Obviously I had to build a dataadapter to accomodate the connection. I did this from tutorials I found on the net.

It is not essential actually. The adaptors are an enhancement in VB.NET but it can also run virtually identical code that VBA uses to create a Late Bound connection to a database.

If you copy the code that creates the ADO connection from VBA into Visual Studio it will just accept it. It does so or a surprising amount of VBA code. Pasting modules working from VBA for a console application is a great way for VBA developers to start learning VB.NET. The keyword SET is dropped automatically because it is superfluous since everything is an object in dotNET. Then the Intellisense underlines what it doesn't like and suggests changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom