Global Outlook contact list (1 Viewer)

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Yesterday, 19:49
Hi all,
anyone have experience creating a single outlook contact list for a whole office? or can someone point me in the right direction. ive gone on microsoft and their stuff talks about exchange servers. we dont have one of those. i was thinking ill just put a single outlook folder on the shared server and connect each users outlook to that. or is there a better way that im not thinking of?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
You can use a distribution list. Go to file > new > distribution list.

Add in all those you want and save it (remember to add yourself !). You can then e-mail the distribution list by dragging and dropping it from your contacts in to an e-mail.

Simple and works but it is more difficult to keep up to date as people leave and join you will need to send out an updated list every time.

BUT you are using Outlook so who administers the system ? as in you may already have an exchange server depending on how your office is setup.

If you find out you have ask them to create a group e-mail account, this is much better as you can give ownership to someone to administer the members if it and it done 'behind the scenes' so you don't have to update a distribution list.

rainman89

Local time
WE have an outside email provider that administers for us. so it would be a local office thing. about 7 computers max. ill have to administer it

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Well they could do it for you but it looks like the easiest way would be a distribution list.

rainman89

Local time
A distribution list isnt updateable by all users on teh network though is it? say computer1 gets a new entry can they just update the list and itll update on all other computers?

or was that what u were talking about with the need to resend it after every updatae?

read all over that the only way to "share" contacts was with a exchange server. stinks!!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
A distribution list isnt updateable by all users on teh network though is it? say computer1 gets a new entry can they just update the list and itll update on all other computers?

or was that what u were talking about with the need to resend it after every updatae?

Again correct - you can export and import a distribution list to say a csv file on a network drive but this is a manual process. You could in theory write a script in conjunction with a scheduled task to automate this but sorry beyond me (I'm no programmer :p )

read all over that the only way to "share" contacts was with a exchange server. stinks!!

True unfortunately or maybe an LDAP server - If you don't want to use a distribution list I would have a word with your e-mail providor they may be able to sort something out for you.

rainman89

Local time
Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom