Google Home Mini Diatribe (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:26
Sounds like you're OK with being spied on as part of your daily life. How sad.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I feel like I'm talking to a magic 8 ball :) Have you ever seen that toy? It is round and black and has a big 8 on it. It looks like the 8 ball from a pool table. Inside is is an hexagonal shaped ball that floats in some liquid. You shake the ball, ask a question, and when you turn it over, one side of the hexagon floats to the top with your answer.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:26
I think it's POSSIBLE that as A.I. develops (along with problems, ethical concerns, and the inevitable widely publicized episodes of bad actors using it in bad ways), if we're lucky .... it might go the way of gain-of-function.

(or at least, the way Republicans are trying to make gain-of-function go: Interesting, amazing, has some benefits, but too dangerous: Stop)

Even if that doesn't happen, I believe a subculture of people who eschew the increasing disappearance of our interaction with the real world around us (human and nature) will rise up ... Those who are sick of the way we have been conned into walking away from the world that we were made to live in and the people we were made to see, talk to, look into their eyes, hug, shake their hands...........and simply decide not to participate (to the extent possible, which will be partial, but probably still possible).

Don't think it's not doable. I know more than one person in a highly technical capacity (works high level security management at Paypal, much more of a programmer than I am), whose current plan is to walk away from it all next year and start farming in Texas.

At some point, many people do actually get tired of their whole existence and accomplishments being in a pretend world. I'm slowly moving in that direction. Slowly.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:26
AI in the future might reply to the threat by refusing to work and sue you for harassment.:)

I am reminded of a hard fact of electronics. Their attention span is no longer than their electrical cord.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
By the time the grandchildren were 10, they got smartphones against my advice. However, I stood my ground on dinner. We ate together as a family and there were NO electronics at the table. We still do game night at least once a month because we actually like each other.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
By the time the grandchildren were 10, they got smartphones against my advice. However, I stood my ground on dinner.
Please state the reasons you are against it, maybe some of us who are not yet grandparents can learn.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Does anyone remember Eliza? This was back in the 80's and it was the first AI. My husband and I got a copy of the program, it was written in COBOL at IBM, on a 9-track tape. I may still have it in a box somewhere:) Eliza sounded very intelligent. She took your questions, parsed them, and fed them back in the answer.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Because 10 (in 2009) is too young to become addicted to a phone. The children didn't need to be reachable every second of every day. We always knew where they were.

The people in Silicon Valley who develop our technology, send their children to private schools where NO electronics are allowed. That should tell you something. The people who create the software that addicts people do not want their own children to use it.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Does anyone remember Eliza? This was back in the 80's and it was the first AI. My husband and I got a copy of the program, it was written in COBOL, on a 9-track tape. I may still have it in a box somewhere:) Eliza sounded very intelligent. She took your questions, parsed them, and fed them back in the answer.
Now am feeling young, i might leave this forum to look for one with members born in the late 1980s/1990s :)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Because 10 (in 2009) is too young to become addicted to a phone. The children didn't need to be reachable every second of every day. We always knew where they were.

The people in Silicon Valley who develop our technology, send their children to private schools where NO electronics are allowed. That should tell you something. The people who create the software that addicts people do not want their own children to use it.
Good point, but do u hold the same view in 2022? I have seen a few educational apps for kids.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I still think that children that young do not need their own phones. They can use computers and notepads with supervision at any age. There is nothing sadder to me than seeing young people in a group, each of them absorbed in their phone rather than interacting with the people around them.

When I was young, children were still free-range. I knew my limits by the time I was 5 and walking a mile by myself every day to kindergarten. I knew how to cross a street. I knew enough to not take presents from strangers or get in a car with anyone I didn't know. Show up for meals and when the streetlights come on. Otherwise, I spent most of my life outside with the neighborhood children exploring the woods or playing games or riding our bikes around the block. If it was raining or too cold, we were in the basement playing school (yes we did play "school" when we were little) or playing hide-and-seek.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
When I was young, children were still free-range. I knew my limits by the time I was 5 and walking a mile by myself every day to kindergarten. I knew how to cross a street. I knew enough to not take presents from strangers or get in a car with anyone I didn't know. Show up for meals and when the streetlights come on. Otherwise, I spent most of my life outside with the neighborhood children exploring the woods or playing games or riding our bikes around the block. If it was raining or too cold, we were in the basement playing school (yes we did play "school" when we were little) or playing hide-and-seek.
I would think this is more of a failure of parents, I think parents of those days spent more time with their kids than now.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:26
I would think this is more of a failure of parents, I think parents of those days spent more time with their kids than now.
I agree. Do you know some parents have little or no control over their sons or daughters. Some parents even allow them to go to Washington on 6th Jan 2021 to smash up Congress building, how terrible is that?

Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I agree. Do you know some parents have little or no control over their sons or daughters. Some parents even allow them to go to Washington on 6th Jan 2021 to smash up Congress building, how terrible is that?

Col
Yep, young Americans fighting against tyranny since 1781 :D

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
If you have a google assistant you must ask it

"Hey Google, Whats the difference between garbage and trash"

Listen to the answer all the way to the end 🤣🤣🤣

Garbage is made up of stuff that comes from the bathroom or kitchen—think moldy bread, gnawed-on chicken wings, used paper towels, empty bags of potato chips and peanut M&Ms. Trash, on the other hand, is everything else: broken furniture, old tires, boxes of stuff collecting dust in the attic, President Trump, etc.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:26
However, I stood my ground on dinner. We ate together as a family and there were NO electronics at the table

Reminds me of something I saw the other day

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?' 'It was a place called 'home,' I explained. 'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.' By the way…I had to have permission to leave the table

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom