Google Home Mini Diatribe (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:59
AB, that EK version will also work in north central Alabama, just southwest of Bessemer, off towards Greenpond and Caffee Junction. (They won't be getting a Target store either.)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:59
I did check niftywalks.com and it says it is registered. I don’t understand the delay, unless it was registered elsewhere perhaps... niftywalks.org is available if that’s of any interest...
From Whois

Domain Name: NIFTYWALKS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2403102057_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.joker.com
Registrar URL: http://www.joker.com
Updated Date: 2019-08-16T17:59:14Z
Creation Date: 2019-06-17T15:33:42Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-06-17T15:33:42Z
Registrar: CSL Computer Service Langenbach GmbH d/b/a joker.com
Registrar IANA ID: 113
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@joker.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +49.21186767447
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Name Server: VAL.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server: WESLEY.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2020-02-23T20:37:38Z <<<

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I bought another two for other rooms in the house.
They work 98% of the time. Support is not bad, but illogical at times.

Me: Hey Google, uplighter On
Her: I'm sorry that device does not appear to be set up...
Me: Hey Google, uplighter On
Her: OK, switching uplighter on

This is intermittently.

I report it to Google. They ask you to reset it completely, yet it does it on the others and does it after a full reset and setup all over again. Then they ask you to put directly into a wall socket and not extension. (Not practical with me as I have very few sockets, hence the extensions).

Reboot your router and Mini etc.

Recently I could say 'Play xx station for n minutes' and she would confirm and play. Then that stopped. I went through all the above (on all units) when it turns out it was something they had done at their end. :(

AI still has a way to go. :D

adrianscotter

Registered old fart!
Local time
For some reason Google Home Mini decided that it needed to advertise it's presence. It started reading out a diatribe of useless information and refused to stop when requested, and these requests were, well, very firm and sometimes rude!

The only way I could get it to stop was to unplug its power source. It now remains sat on the window ledge, inert, powerless, or is it? I suspect it will remain there, until sold, or consigned to the bin, but I doubt very much if it will ever be plugged in again!

You might say why am I posting this here? Why don't I inform Google? Have you ever tried to communicate with Google? You are wasting your time! They are deaf, except for the Google Home Mini, which is not deaf! Maybe it will have a use after all! If I can persuade it to contact Brin's Google home Mini and relay my message now there's a thought!
Hey uncle Gizmo, my offer of a 'chat' with any errant device still stands :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
AI still has a way to go.

Regarding maintenance issues, I learned a long time ago that artificial intelligence cannot cope with natural stupidity. I have no doubt YOU are using it right but the "maintainers" are an amorphous cloud of unknown quality. Of course, there is always maintenance through percussive adjustment (i.e. giving it a good "whack" with your hand or something harder and heavier.)

At the office, I used to verbally threaten my workstation by telling it "Machine, I know where you are plugged in. I can have you replaced." Since this was a semi-open seating arrangement, the other folks would comment about how "Doc and his machine are at it again." The threat rarely worked but it felt good to blow off the steam.

redlionfive

Local time
Today, 19:29
My Google Home devices, all six, are beyond wonky now. Also, the new home apo has a miserable failure. First, my Google Home devices. Let me start by saying I'm a Systems/Network Engineer by trade, my home WiFi is on point, and yes, I've cleaned out the microphones. I've even done packet captures via Wire Shark to make sure my network is 100% solid, as well as extended pings. 100% solid. So... One device just won't answer at times. It'll just go silent for 1-2 minutes. Reboot? It pops up again and starts to respond again, randomly.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:59
There's a liberty mutual commercial, the one with that emu bird, and everytime it comes on the tv Alexa responds That she doesnt understand.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Whoever does the Liberty Mutual ad campaign needs to be advised that past a certain point, dumb commercials are counter-productive.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hey uncle Gizmo, my offer of a 'chat' with any errant device still stands :)

Adrian I wondered if you would be able to provide some insight into how the bottle of wine is exploded in the good fight intro, see more here:-

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Actually Adrian I take that back I don't think you should shoot at, destroy blowup any errant digital talk assistants.

I think they are teaming up! Look what this Alexa did!!! Trying to kill off humans! You might get more than you bargained for....

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:59
Call me crazy but I am not interested in bringing Big Brother into my home to listen to me. I'll get up and turn the radio on.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 06:59
At the office, I used to verbally threaten my workstation by telling it "Machine, I know where you are plugged in. I can have you replaced." Since this was a semi-open seating arrangement, the other folks would comment about how "Doc and his machine are at it again." The threat rarely worked but it felt good to blow off the steam.
AI in the future might reply to the threat by refusing to work and sue you for harassment.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom