Google One Drive as shared folder for "be" db (1 Viewer)

moi

Local time
Today, 18:32
any pc/hardware vendor can give you more advice on how to set up.
there is no need for special software, even different version of windows will do.
all you need is a Uniform, local static IP address (like what i show you on my first post).
you can also asked someone from different company that has a lan setup to help you.

you will need lan cables (make sure all cables are long enough to reach each users) and a Switch.
many thanks Arnel.. i will visit sometime a computer shop/vendor to ask additional info.. I will put those equipment you mentioned in my list..

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
buy a Switch that has 4 or more input slots and but the cheapest (now a days, they are all the same, branded or not).

Reactions: moi

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 03:32
There is no shame in saying "This is not my area of expertise, but I called around and identified a company "Ils" :) that can setup a simple network for us. Will cost about X".

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:32
While Arnel's diagram is a possible one, it has a "gotcha" that needs clarification since you claim to be novices at hardware issues. An experienced hardware engineer would know this; a novice would not.

As I mentioned, there IS such a thing as an Ethernet-enabled printer that COULD work through the router if you have enough plug ports for all of your computers and have at least one to spare. In Arnel's picture, however, you have printers connected to some computers, not the router. You can connect printers directly to the back of your computer via USB or an old-style printer port (though these days such a thing is rare.) Like Arnel's diagram shows, you CAN connect to a printer through a computer as long as you know the name of the computer, because the "connect a printer" wizard will want to know the name of that supporting computer. Given the host name, the "find a printer on the network" dialog will very quickly find such a device.

HOWEVER, if your printer is hard-wired but NOT connected to a machine that will be ON all of the time, then that printer will be unreliable. You said that one machine would be sacrificed to be the DB host. That would be a good candidate for a hardwired and shared printer to be attached.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 11:32
If all or most of the computers have gigiabit ethernet ports, make sure you get a gigabit switch.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
wow the diagram itself is a little scary for a non-tech old man..
Hradly scary, it is just plugging some leads in. They are of a certain shape, so can only go in one place.
You need to reseach network drive mapping as well, but that is quite straightforward. Keep the drive name the same for everyone, though most people would use the ip address.
Make sure the BE computer has a static IP address in that case.

moi

Local time
Hradly scary, it is just plugging some leads in. They are of a certain shape, so can only go in one place.
You need to reseach network drive mapping as well, but that is quite straightforward. Keep the drive name the same for everyone, though most people would use the ip address.
Make sure the BE computer has a static IP address in that case.
thanks

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
many thanks pat.. im not sure if i can do the configuration,, is there anything something like a plug n play.. and yes the desktop will not be use as a working station, it will serve as the "BE" holder.. something like a mini-server.. for the 3 laptops of the 3 clerks.
When I worked for a large UK bank, we had the team leaders's desktop storing the BE. That worked perfectly fine.

moi

Local time
While Arnel's diagram is a possible one, it has a "gotcha" that needs clarification since you claim to be novices at hardware issues. An experienced hardware engineer would know this; a novice would not.

As I mentioned, there IS such a thing as an Ethernet-enabled printer that COULD work through the router if you have enough plug ports for all of your computers and have at least one to spare. In Arnel's picture, however, you have printers connected to some computers, not the router. You can connect printers directly to the back of your computer via USB or an old-style printer port (though these days such a thing is rare.) Like Arnel's diagram shows, you CAN connect to a printer through a computer as long as you know the name of the computer, because the "connect a printer" wizard will want to know the name of that supporting computer. Given the host name, the "find a printer on the network" dialog will very quickly find such a device.

HOWEVER, if your printer is hard-wired but NOT connected to a machine that will be ON all of the time, then that printer will be unreliable. You said that one machine would be sacrificed to be the DB host. That would be a good candidate for a hardwired and shared printer to be attached.
Many thanks the-doc-man all your responses are well noted..

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Another factor came to my memory. You could, in theory, connect a WiFi printer to a computer. However, that WiFi cannot also be connected as your primary in-house network because of the aforementioned stability issues. Depending on which version of Windows you are running on the computers, it might not be possible to have two active network connections running at the same time. Therefore, an Ethernet-based network and a WiFi-based network could not coexist. Windows Home doesn't allow dual networks, unless that has changed recently, which means that you would HAVE to attach a printer directly to a computer or attach that printer directly to the router (if it can support it.) Windows Professional, on the other hand, might allow more than one network to be active, which would give you more flexibility.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 03:32
Many thanks the-doc-man all your responses are well noted..
This is the modem/router provided by my internet provider. Lower left is the incoming cable. Lower right is the power cord. Four ports inside the yellow triangle rectangle are for computers on the home "LAN". I only have one plugged in, obviously.

Your router will look somewhat like this, except, of course, without the incoming internet cable. It will have, instead an input port from the internet modem in your office.
IMG_3834.jpg

This is an old router sitting in my closet, which will be closer to what you want. One incoming port for the internet coming in from your modem. Four ports for computers in your office. Additional ports may or may not make a difference in your scenario.
IMG_3835.jpg

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:32
If the concept of setting this up yourself is overwhelming, call your local Best Buy and talk to the Geek Squad. They should at a minimum be able to put together a specific hardware package you need to purchase. Plugging it all together isn't actually very hard. Your biggest problem will probably figuring out how to keep the wires out of the way so people wouldn't trip over them. I remember back in the 80's when companies were first installing PC's. Once a department had a couple, they wanted them networked, mostly to share printers so I got to read the directions and then go out and set up a few small departmental peer-to-peer LANs before we added someone to our staff to become our network expert and take over the task.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the computers are close enough and you have a "drop ceiling" it would be easy to route the cables up and out of the way of traffic. Otherwise, there are rubberized "cable covers" that protect your cables from people walking on them or rolling things over them. Here is a search to clarify what I meant:

moi

Local time
If the computers are close enough and you have a "drop ceiling" it would be easy to route the cables up and out of the way of traffic. Otherwise, there are rubberized "cable covers" that protect your cables from people walking on them or rolling things over them. Here is a search to clarify what I meant:

Hi Sir The-Doc-Man,

Yes the computers to be connected are in same office.. small office so there is no problem in cabling...

Thanks for the link, i will check it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Having read the article from Richard Rost, I believe he is using a "remote session" solution similar to but not necessarily identical to CITRIX or RDP. Pat Hartman has used CITRIX many times and frequently references it in questions like this. In this article, you put Access on the central server and let it talk locally to the BE file. Then using remote session technology, you have a screen on your computer that looks like you are directly using Access. But it is an illusion. Your local screen is actually the "remote" object, representing a remote session. Which should not be taken as saying it won't work. To the contrary, if Richard Rost likes it, it can't be all bad. But it might involve a trickier setup because you are using server resources directly for end users. And @moi, in your tiny environment, the Access Database Cloud solution is definitely overkill. Still, as mloucel suggests, it might help someone to know that such a thing exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom