Googlesheets as a backend? (1 Viewer)

Etxezarreta

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:38
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if some of you have already used a Googlesheets back end?
The context is:
- 10 users all over the world+1 admin
- no way to use a server or an SqlAzure device
- users never change the datas in the tables, the admin person does. They use queries only, that will be local queries.

What is your feed-back, specially about the type of linking? For instance I guess ODBC cant work in this case.
Many thanks in advance.
Etxe.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:38
If anybody has it's @Uncle Gizmo , this will ping him. Perhaps this?

Thanks for the mention Paul. from that video, it does seem doable. I downloaded the relevant files to do this with Excel, don't know what happened, but I never finished.

My intention was to get it working in Excel and then shift the code over to MS Access... Might have to have another go at it!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:38
The biggest problem with using remotely located Access like this is USUALLY that Wide-Area Networks and Access don't get along due to network dropouts. Having said that, you have a possibility of making this work with patience. You said

users never change the datas in the tables, the admin person does. They use queries only, that will be local queries.

IF the users are not updating anything (specifically, the back-end files), you still can have network issues but they will not change the data in the back-end. Database corruption of the back-end cannot occur unless you WRITE to the back-end. Your front-end would still be susceptible to a task crash if the network dies while pulling down data. But that should not kill the back end.

I personally would not recommend it BUT that no-update situation might be your "get out of jail free" card. Note, however, that some WAN managers in IT departments will block certain protocols. If you are going to use the Google API, double- or triple-check that your IT staff does not block any of the protocols used by the API. I didn't have time to check what was used.

I won't swear that it will work - but in your special case, it at least has a chance.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 16:38
I know getting data 'down', from Sheets into MS Office is easy - and several options for approaches.
I'm not sure about making edits easily from Access to sheets, but this thread inspires me to try and report back if I have much luck.

Etxezarreta

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:38
Thanks a lot Isaac, Doc, Gizmo and Paul.
I might have a go with Excel Powerquery as well, using this (in french):

1623998020341.png

@Isaac, I am very interested in sharing about your "inspiration", we are on it as well, I keep you people updated with our progress.
Have a lovely day all.
Etxe.

jungli

Local time
Today, 20:38
É possivel sim !!!!

Last edited:

jungli

Local time
Today, 20:38
Utilizando o GAS Google App Script para inserir, atualizar, excluir, etc. Na planilha e XmlHttp no MsAccess VBA para fazer as chamadas GET e PUT, obter os retornos da chamada de manusear no form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom