Graduate degree worth it? (1 Viewer)

AccessNut

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:58
Thank goodness I still have a job but I'm thinking about "beefing up" my resume just in case. I have a BS in computer science but have not worked in that area for about 6 years. During this time I have been working in another field but hacking together an Access database at work and really enjoy it. So as I am getting paranoid about the economy, I'm toying with the idea of getting a master's degree ( I can do this part-time) with a focus in database. What do you all think? Or would I be better off with something more hands on such as Microsoft SQL server certifications? I have some experience with Access but not SQL Server. Thanks.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
Thank goodness I still have a job but I'm thinking about "beefing up" my resume just in case. I have a BS in computer science but have not worked in that area for about 6 years. During this time I have been working in another field but hacking together an Access database at work and really enjoy it. So as I am getting paranoid about the economy, I'm toying with the idea of getting a master's degree ( I can do this part-time) with a focus in database. What do you all think? Or would I be better off with something more hands on such as Microsoft SQL server certifications? I have some experience with Access but not SQL Server. Thanks.

It really depends on where you want your career to go. If your focus is learning the technology end more than the business end, then you should definitely focus on certifications rather than full degrees. Certifications are updated and show you know exactly what you are talking about, RIGHT NOW. Someone who has a degree in computer science from 10-15 years ago might know absolutely nothing about computers today. Times change. Certifications guarantee you will be up to date to employers.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:58

As far as I can tell, advanced degrees and certs are worthless, its all about experience now. Everybody and their mother is out there looking for a job right now, and unless you have 5 to 10 years of experience, no one will even consider you. Sorry to be so negative, and I'm sure that what I'm seeing here is Denver isn't necessarily representative of the rest of the country, but that is what is going on here. The job listings say "entry level programmer" and then you read the requirements: 5 yrs of .NET, 5 yrs SQL Server, 5 yrs of Java, and so on and so forth.

If you really want to pursue the database thing, just try to get additional work on the side. Access projects to begin with, but maybe you can pick up a project where they want something with a SQL Server backend. Then you could at least get your feet wet with that. Once you have a few side projects to put on your resume, and references to go along with them, you will be in a better position to pursue that kind of work full time in the future.

CameronM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:58
I agree with Vassago that up-to-date certification can certainly show you know something about the technologies, but as Alisa points out, relevant industry experience will win hands down. Try and get whatever experience you can, including doing your own projects and building apps for people you know. Your experience will certainly come out in an interview and it doesn't always matter that your projects were not-for-profit.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 19:58
the more time goes on the better your resume is going to have to look. i'm getting a masters degree right now, but i'll never find a job that'll pay for life without getting a CPA badge, and even then the chances aren't great. i totally agree with Warren Buffet....and what he says is EXPERIENCE is all that matters. You can be the most intelligent person in the world, but if you can't get anything done, you're useless. What's really funny about that statement is the fact that one person in the world that has gotten incredible things accomplished in Life is BILL CLINTON, and coincidentally, he's also the dumbest person that's ever come down the pike. That man's common sense is at rock bottom. odd, huh?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
the more time goes on the better your resume is going to have to look. i'm getting a masters degree right now, but i'll never find a job that'll pay for life without getting a CPA badge, and even then the chances aren't great. i totally agree with Warren Buffet....and what he says is EXPERIENCE is all that matters. You can be the most intelligent person in the world, but if you can't get anything done, you're useless. What's really funny about that statement is the fact that one person in the world that has gotten incredible things accomplished in Life is BILL CLINTON, and coincidentally, he's also the dumbest person that's ever come down the pike. That man's common sense is at rock bottom. odd, huh?

How is Bill Clinton dumb?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 01:58
How is Bill Clinton dumb?
He certainly appears a lot more intelligent than George W Bush. Clinton at least didn't get us (US and UK) into a war we don't seem to be able to win.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
I just got my degree...

considering if i hadnt i would have no/less debt, more money saved it may not have been worth it.

But where i now can do better jobs with higher pay I think its better

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Employers are hopeless.

They ask for a degree because they have no other way of telling how a person can do the job because usually they don't know what the job actually is.

I have seen so many graduates come and go who just couldn't do the job. They were employed because the employer thought the degree matched what the job was and they were lucid at interview.

I've seen interview questionnaires that held no reference to the position at all.

Stuff like "What is the file extension of a .net Assembly?" - which no employer knew the answer to and no junior employee has ever needed to know the answer to.

Experience and references. Demonstrate these at interview and if you don't get it, they fail not you.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 19:58
Experience and references. Demonstrate these at interview and if you don't get it, they fail not you.
ABSOLUTELY. SPOT ON WITH THAT ONE DAN CAT. no questions asked. education says nothing about being able to get something done.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yes - absolutely true. A lot of employers will gauge you on prior experience and achievements for positions with consideration towards education credentials. A lot of employers will try to use the lack of certs as a barganing chip for decreasing salary or benefits. You can usually get the edge on them in that case though by asking if they would renegotiate once you obtain the certs. A lot of employers will and as time progresses some will even help you to attain the certs or credentials.
With economys gone stale there are a lot of government programs in various jurisdictions who have launched programs to 'reeducate' or update certain skills. If you are between jobs or just entering the market or realigning a career path this would be a good opportunity to get some paperwork to beef up the resume.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Employers are hopeless.

They ask for a degree because they have no other way of telling how a person can do the job because usually they don't know what the job actually is.

I have seen so many graduates come and go who just couldn't do the job. They were employed because the employer thought the degree matched what the job was and they were lucid at interview.

I've seen interview questionnaires that held no reference to the position at all.

Stuff like "What is the file extension of a .net Assembly?" - which no employer knew the answer to and no junior employee has ever needed to know the answer to.

Yes a degree is by no means a guarantee you can do the job. Neither is experience - as previous posters highlight - useless people with degrees can get a job, which they are still useless at. Their CV then contains a degree and experience. They will have a fantastic reference as their previous company wants to get rid of them.

At least a degree - is reliable, that the person who gained it genuinely is of a standard at whatever - what standard depends on the institution and subject.

As an employer - I would look out for those who have promotions within one org - ie those who work with them genuinely think they are good (not reference bull***) - and avoid those who job hop too often.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I forgot - the most important bit - its not what you know or how you demonstate that you know it, whether experience or certs. Its who you know thats important.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
What I generaly find is that the first question asked by a recently qualified graduate is...

"Do you want a large fries with that?"

Seriously, many, many years ago before I was into IT I was in hotel and catering as a self taught chef. When I wne tfor an interview it was a case of looking at the menu and seing if there was any issues I had, and sometimes had to prepare a simple dish. Nowadays you cannot get past the first post unless you have you docs.

David

mdemarte

Computer Wizard
Local time
As someone who has been involved in the interview end - sometimes a company WON'T hire you if your are OVER qualified. That's where the grad degree could hurt you. Have to agree with experience over master's degree and certifications with experience over master's degree.

Biggest problems that I am seeing currently are:

1. Employer wants SPECIFIC background and doesn't want to consider your willingness to adapt.

2. Hard to migrate to new job @ starting wage while also not being offered a wage based on your experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom