"Group by" cuts off my lines! (1 Viewer)

sphere

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:41
Hi everyone,
I'm really confused here.
I'm creating a query for a report. There's one field that contains alot of text, the data type of this field is actually memo.
In the query, I'm interested in finding the first and last of records. I already new that if I would pick group by, the text in this field would get cut off, as if the number of characters are limited. So I've always used last of.
Now, I need the first of and last of for this record. The last of obviously works... the first of is a problem.
It cuts off my text!

So, how can i get this data into my report without it being cut off?!
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I'm stuck!
If this is not clear please let me know and I'll rephrase it.

R

Rich

You could use DLookup on the report removing the memo field from the query or filter the report instead of using the query.
HTH

sphere

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:41
hey rich, thanks for the reply.
the problem with using Dlookup is that i still need to get the 'first of' and 'last of' of that specific field.
Same goes for filtering the report. How can I filter it if I can't clearly specify what I want it to filter?..

To be more specific, this is the problem...
To be able to have the records all sorted out, I have a subqry running. This is grouping the records by reference number and then sorting by date. Like this, when I create a query and use this subqry as the base, then I'm sure to get the right first and last records (which in my case is according to the date.)
Anyway, in that subqry, I also have the field 'descritpion' for the same reasons.
Now, since the descritpion field is memo, then I have to say totals= last for that field, otherwise my text will get cut off.
This is all fine up to the moment.
The problem is creating another query using this subqry because it picks up the perfect records, only thing when it comes to descritpion is that the field ends up being..
first of last of descritpion and last of last of descritpion, get it?..
So here's when it goes 'sorry' and cuts my text off! I need this text to create a report.
I also need to use the subqry, otehrwise it'll start messing up the order of the records.

What do I do???!!!
=)
Thanks again for your help, I'm looking for any solution here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom