Happy Tuesday Everyone (1 Viewer)

esmith313

Local time
Today, 14:34
Hello Everyone,

Introducing myself, as suggested. My name is Emma and I live in the UK.

I've been a programming for more years than I care to actually admit to :cool: I started off with mainframes and COBOL74 and then moved into Oracle, SQL & PL/SQL. Along the way I've taught myself HTML, XML and CSS to name a few.

It's only fairly recently that I've gotten into programming with Excel and now Access. More by necessity as my current client believes in doing everything with excel spreadsheets and manual procedures :banghead: and I'm trying to show them otherwise. :D

I'm currently teaching myself VBA and macro programming in Excel and Access so I KNOW I will have some very basic questions so please be gentle with me while I get my geek up to speed.

For someone who loves their tech as I do I also like escaping from it from time to time. I chill in my caravan (those nasty white vehicles that block the motorways) with my husband and dog who gets lovely long walks and lots of attention (the dog that is, not the husband). However, I can't be without some WIFI access though for the essential emails and FB updates! I also run my own embroidery business (but still geek out on that with my digital designer tools).

I will apologize in advance for the dumb questions I'm sure I will ask, and look forward to getting stuck in here.

Emma

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:34
More by necessity as my current client believes in doing everything with excel spreadsheets and manual procedures :banghead: and I'm trying to show them otherwise. :D

Emma

Don't be hard on them. One of the top 5 banks in the UK does exactly the same thing. :D

In fact any automation in Excel is generally frowned upon, and Excel is mainly used as a flat file database instead of Access. :(

Several of my colleagues spent about 3 months copying/entering data into one spreadsheet, each set of data was one row. Another colleague then copied each row of that data into individual spreadsheets.

I offered to create a macro (did it anyway in my spare time, just as an exercise to see if I could) to automate it. More accurate and obviously seriously less time to do it, but Oh No, that is not the way we do things here. :banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom