Has anyone made a File catalogue? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:30
Hello, I have thousands of schematic diagrams and service manuals that I would like to catagorise into some tidy format & was wondering if anyone had done a similar database etc that they might share the basic template of it with me?

I want to catagorise them by
Type (TV/VCR/Monitor/DVD etc)
Manufacturer (Sony/Daewoo/HP/etc)
Model number(text description)
File location (link to file in sub folder)

Has anyone else done anything similar?

Cheers,
Matthew.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:30
I havent gone into such catogorization of the files, but I have created a MDB that uses batch files to scan the C: and D: drive of my machines for multimedia files, and then creates a formatted list of thier details. If you already have a listing of the files and can import/enter the data into a MDB, then it will be a snap.

You may have some initial work in the catogrization department, unless that are already like that in the Directory substructure.

Your question already holds the majority of the answer, at least for the tbl structure. I will put together something simple and see what you think of it. I will post it as soon as I can.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Heres an example. Sorry its not much but I only got a few min to pice it together. Let me know what you think, you could really build from here. Keep in mind that the records have a local refrence to files, so the ones I had in there for testing will not open anything on your PC. Use the data entry form and set up what you have. You can add new items and munfactures directly to the tables.

Attachments

• example.zip
    61.8 KB · Views: 191

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
Hi & thanks for that, unfortunately I cannot open it.
I assume that it has been created in one of the latest versions, only I forgot to say I was still on Access97 & cannot upgrade.

Going off what you have said about it, that does not sound like what I am after. Never mind I guess that I will just have to stop being a lazy bugger and make one myself.

Cheers,
Matthew.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
I converted it from 2000 (actually 2002) to 97, try it out and see if it works.

Attachments

• 97format.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 112

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
Er... thanks but even though I can run it, I cannot make head nor tail of it? Whats it supposed to do, all I can find is a form asking for some dates.

Thankyou for trying, however I think its not quite what I am looking for.

I have knocked together a database, however I can forsee problems with:
service manuals that apply to more than 1 model, adding a hyperlink to the file with a local path rather than a full one.
finishing it off.
filling it with the data.

It all makes me wonder if perhaps I should be concentrating on a HTML table instead.

Cheers,
Matthew.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
1) I am so sorry for zipping the wrong one the second time around.
2) I have corrected my error and reposted
3) There is a chance of getting this information via DOS commands into a file that can be easily imported into a MDB.

What I did with the media MDB was to use a simple batch file that created a complete listing of the various media file extension over a certain size. From there I worked on the MDB to 1) Keep the directory path/file name as a hyperlink 2) Break each of the steps of the directory path into seperate fileds 3) Create tbls containing the file names of the various types (avi, mp3).

The other option is to enter the data manually, but it doesnt sound like you wanted that.

Attachments

• 97-format.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 121

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
I do not mind entering the data manually...

This is not running, I get :
"Compile error: Method or data member not found"

Highlights Form_Switchboard:Class Module
Private Sub FillOptions() & CurrentProject

It will no allow me to run the switchboard then.
Although I can open it all if I hold shift at startup.

????

Perhaps a problem with the conversion to 97?

Cheers.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Most likely the conversion. You can go into the startup and de-select the switchboard at startup. That should get rid of the run error, then there are 3 other forms, and they are quite simple. The data can be entered on one, edited on another, and viewed on the third.
When you enter the file name, be sure it is the entire directory path (C:\folder1\sony\desc.txt).

If you cant get this to work, let me know. You may also attempt a comapact and repair under tools.

One other option is that I can compile this into a runtime environment, but that would create a sizible file. Take a peek at the design, and if you like it you can just import everything into a new mdb you create in 97.

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
HI again, this looks excellent..
what does
" Set con = Application.CurrentProject.Connection" do/mean?

Its what its having a problem with.
the ".CurrentProject" does not appear in the help searches.
Is this perhaps a feature of 2k that I do not have?
me = vbdunce.

I have a few other questions if you would be so kind..

I can follow that there are different tables for manufacturer name & model and it appears simple enough to add more to that list (press enter and add a new row), they then appear in the list, although it will get quite long I can live with that.

It wont matter if I change the list to alphabetise it will it?

Data Entry form:
Adding the model number, how can I add several model numbers?
Would this call for duplicating (with a slight name change) the field so several can be entered?

OR would it be best to enter each one separately (using a duplicate record field button and then change the model number)
Or will this make the database wayyyy too big?

The filename field, can I change this so that a button can be used to browse for it, to finally display the filename without any path. In addition can that full path then be taken to provide data for another field that shows the location? or visa versa.
is this achievable & how?

How can a "Chassis" field be added, that can be the same on several documents, allowing for a chassis type to be entered then showing all diagrams that use that chassis.

What does "macro1" do? it appears to have nothing in it?
or have I inadvertently added that when trying it out?

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
The " Set con = Application.CurrentProject.Connection" is a result of the default startup settings. Just go under TOOLS to STARTUP and de-select the switchboard for now. I beleive that is a result of the conversion, so de-select it and try restarting the mdb. If it solved the problem, go back in and re-select it so you have you switchboard set up as 97 needs it.

It wont matter if I change the list to alphabetise it will it?

No, it wouldnt hurt a thing. This is a simple table to hold the names you need so you can have them for lookup. You only need to enter a name once into the table, and you should be able to enter it in the combo box on the data entry form (if its not there to select).

Regarding the model number, I could kick myself in the ass for not thinking of that. Being a network admin, I know that several different models may have the same info and drivers. I should have compensated for that in the begining, but like I said, I put it together really quick. To accomindate for multiple model number would only require a tbl to hold them. Three fields would suffice, ModID (Primary Key), ModelNum, and PKEY (foriegn key to the data tbl. Now to accomindate for multiple model numbers, we would also change the forms by removeing the the MODEL txt field and adding in a subform based off of the new tbl.

The filename field, can I change this so that a button can be used to browse for it, to finally display the filename without any path. In addition can that full path then be taken to provide data for another field that shows the location? or visa versa.
is this achievable & how?

This is something that I have done once in the past but cant accuratly recall it now. You could try searching the forum for this topic or try the VB section for assistance.

How can a "Chassis" field be added
This would be the same as the Manu and Type tbls. Just create a tbl and to store the information, then in the DATA tbl add a field for it and select the type LOOKUP. When prompted, select the new Chassis tbl and it will create the relationships for you. Add a combo box to each of the forms, and select the option that you want it to look up the values in a tbl. Select the new chassis tbl and you are under way. The form properties are what deligates data entry or not, so you dont have to worry bout the additional settings since they are inherient.

Macro one was my mistake, when going in to code a button I inadvertantly created it.

:D :D

Matthew Lamkin

Registered User.
Local time
Thankyou.
I shall now go away and try and see if I can understand this lot...
Thaks again.
I'll come back when I have finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom