Having two autonumbers in form (1 Viewer)

syntaktik

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:35
I have a form where I combine two tables. And, I can't update it with out putting the primary key inside the form. It works, but it is more of a hinderance to insert something in the second half first, click the ID textbox, then the other ID text box, to finally save. Is there a way around this :confused:

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:35
I'm not sure I understand what it is you are trying to do. How are you combing the two tables?

Perhaps a copy of your DB might help.

syntaktik

Registered User.
Local time
here is the link for the database: here.
This is meant for the ROTC at our school. Since they keep everything everything in one huge excel sheet. The problem is, when i try to add a new person it wont let me. And some other problems like the filter for classes is not working.. Nor the open report combo box.
But any help is really appreciated.

Last edited:

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Firstly I notice you are using table level lookups, can I recommend that you read this thread and specifically this link offered by Bob Larson.

You may wish to re-think your table structure once you have digested that information.

Lastly I'm still not exactly sure were the problem lies. Could you describe what it is you wish to do and were the problem arises.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:35
it osunds like a normalisation issue. an interactive form can only deal with adding to a single table at a time (without code)

if you are ending up, as you say you are - with a form that needs autonumbers (or even just PKs) from two separate tables, this points to a many to many relationship, or a normalisation issue (or both)

you need ot review the design of the dbs, and then the functionality should flow properly.

can you post your table structure, and what you are trying to do.

Notye in general however, that access is NOT the same as excel, and the table structure will look rather different. its more like having many small spreadsheets, rather than one big one.

syntaktik

Registered User.
Local time
i see..
Since the thing i'm doing is for the ROTC class, what i am trying to do is have a form which displays all the information for the person, and then have a way to update their uniform information in textboxes.

However it seems i cant work from a query nor dlookup functions since neither seem to be updateable.

so i am pretty much trying to combine two tables in one form.

Does anyone have a template or an example how i can go about this?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:35
i see..
Since the thing i'm doing is for the ROTC class, what i am trying to do is have a form which displays all the information for the person, and then have a way to update their uniform information in textboxes.

well if you have a form BOUND to the person table. then the information will be updateable. what do you mean by the "uniform information" - this is all very vague - we really need a clearer explanation of what you are trying to do, i think

syntaktik

Registered User.
Local time
haha, well. This is what is going on: here
If you click "new" in the form, another form opens, from there i have to enter information in the "uniform" tab, and then click the ID text box for it to refresh. Then i have to enter information in the Top part of the form. If i don't do that. It does not seem to save otherwise. Not sure if this is normal.

then also, i read the link you guys sent me, but i am not sure what i am supposed to do with that. I really apologize, but i am so new to this :(

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
I've had a bit of a fiddle with your DB and made some changes. There are still a few more changes I'd make.

Hopefully from what I've done so for you can see where I'm heading and use what I've done a guide to continue on from here.

Attachments

• ROTC Database Amended.zip
    344.7 KB · Views: 97

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
A couple more ideas.

Attachments

• ROTC Database Amended.zip
    453.4 KB · Views: 92

syntaktik

Registered User.
Local time
WOW, thats all i have to say. Plain amazing help. This will get me further to complete this database. I just need to add some very last touches and it is complete.
you guys are awesome!

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Glad you like it. There is still plenty more that you can do to add polish and functionality.

Please don't think that what I have done is the be all and end all, it is simply a guide and a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom