Hello all, newby from Amsterdam here with an ACCDE security quest (1 Viewer)

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:08
Apologies, you need the preview version of the router.

See here

orny

Local time
Today, 15:08
Normally the app is split and what you are trying to protect from theft or manipulation is the data which will be in the back end

usual reason for protecting the front end is to prevent modification to forms, reports and code. Also to prevent someone from being able to discover the password to the back end or use the front end to gain access to the data. And perhaps licence management

what is left ‘out in the open’ is queries, which for me is the weak point. But easy to overcome by not placing them in the front end - keep in the back end either as a querydef or in a table, or hard coded in the front end vba.

so ‘how safe’ depends on what you want to protect, from whom, from doing what, by what means
Hello CJ_London. Thanks for the input. What I'm doing is using Access only as the front end because it is the quickest tool I know for designing decent-looking forms and reports. I populate my controls (combos, listboxes, etc) by shooting instructions to the back-end. All the actual SQL queries are stored in the (MySQL) backend on a Linux server prepped in by-the-book way. No back-end passwords are stored in the VBA code. However, since I am working on an application for the medical sector, I want to be able to guarantee that the application is safe from prying eyes. That is why I asked: anyone want to take a crack at the ACCDE and see if they can break in? And if they manage, tell me how?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:08
Bearing in mind the scope of your app, I recommend you pay someone to test your security.
Checking database security is time consuming and its therefore unlikely that anyone here will be willing to do so for free.

You'll have to count me out for the reason I stated in post #3

orny

Local time
Thanks Isladogs. Perfectly clear. Will see if we can have a budget for this in due time. Still: would really like to have a stress test.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:08
Thanks Isladogs. Perfectly clear. Will see if we can have a budget for this in due time. Still: would really like to have a stress test.
Just curious, did you post the ACCDE somewhere, so it can be tested?

MsAccessNL

Local time
I don’t mind to check my hack skils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom