Help For dummies (1 Viewer)

Umpire

Local time
Today, 01:39
Where can I find help that does not give answers in programing languages?
I posted about a problem with a search returning no records and no way to get back to my switchboard. I got a quick response (Thanks) but it was a page full of VBA code. I asked for clarification on what to change to fit my files and got ghosted.

I have searched for similar solutions but they are all in programing language which I don't understand.

Where can I go to get help understanding these answers?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:39
Here. Just ask the question differently to include that you would like an explanation rather than a long code example that you don't think you are ready to understand. Those of us who CAN give the "theoretical" side of the answer will help. Others will perhaps stand off knowing that they can't do what you ask.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Not sure about the situation you were in, but if an answer requires code, then code will have to be provided. If you don't understand the code, you could try asking specific parts of the code you don't understand. If everything else fails, you could try posting a demo version of your db, so someone can apply the code for you, and you can then ask for some clarification of what changes were made to it. Just my 2 cents...

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 03:39
This is the referenced thread:

...but it was a page full of VBA code

And let me go further--it was a page full of uncommented VBA code. Quit doing this, let's teach people to fish, not just feed them.. We do no one any service when we spew out code onto the page and don't help people understand and learn from it.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:39
I think the issue is more one of assuming the level of competence in Access and vba, especially in the General forum. However, it's not just vba. If there is a post about a query not working as required, and the sql is asked to be posted, there is an assumption that the inquirer knows what sql is.

Umpire

Local time
This is the referenced thread:

And let me go further--it was a page full of uncommented VBA code. Quit doing this, let's teach people to fish, not just feed them.. We do no one any service when we spew out code onto the page and don't help people understand and learn from it.
YES!!!!
I don't mind the code as long as I know what to change AND how (where) to plug it into Access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom