Help needed with Form/Design (1 Viewer)

ans

Local time
Yesterday, 18:04
Hello,

I need some help with a form. I have attached a scaled-down version of my database so you can see what I am working with on the form. As well as the issues I am having.

The form frmAccountTransaction is the form I am needing help with. With the design that I have.

1st When you select an option in the Bank cbo list. It auto requires the cbo Account Type to show only the accounts related to the bank selected. Then the cbo Account Number "should" requery according to the cbo Account Type selected and for the cbo Bank selected. (The cbo Account Number shows all account number related to the cbo Bank without filtering by Account Type. This is not what I am wanting.) Then if you change a selection in one of "these" cbo list all list after it should Null and Requery.

2nd When a new record is started. The cbo Income/Expense needs to be Null until an option is selected. Then Transaction Description needs to requery according to the cbo Income/Expense selection. Then if you change a selection in the Income/Expense cbo list then Transaction Description list should Null and Requery.

3rd This is where I have some bad/strange issues. As an example, when adding a new record and you select a different Bank, Account Type & Account Number. Then for some unknown reason to me. It clears them items for all current records that has been recorded. This does the same thing with the Income/Expense & Transaction Description.

I really like the form design and would like to keep it if all possible, though I am not sure if it is possible. If not, then I am not sure of a good way to design the form. This database is for someone that does not know much about computers at all. So, I am trying to make things as simple as possible for them. All help is much appreciated. Thanks

---
Sincerely,
ans

P.S
I currently do not have the buttons on top of the form setup other than New & Save. So the form is actually unlocked.

Attachments

• TPHDatabase1.zip
    68.5 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:04
You can't use bound controls to do this. You are MODIFYING the actual record!!! Make a separate, unbound combo for searching. Let the wizard build it if you can't write VBA.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:04
Further to Pat's advice, the video here demonstrates creating a combobox with and without the wizard:-

ans

Local time
You can't use bound controls to do this. You are MODIFYING the actual record!!! Make a separate, unbound combo for searching. Let the wizard build it if you can't write VBA.

The Income/Expense cbo is unbound and requries Transaction Description correctly. Transaction Description is bound so it will store its value in the record. It looks like it works until you go and add a new record. Once you save the new record then the other records change information. I am not understanding why this happens. If I unbound all cbo I am not sure how it will store the information with the transaction record which is needed.

---
Sincerely,
ans

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:04
An unbound combo will NOT store anything. But, unbound combos are used for filtering. Bound combos update records. That means you need TWO combos. One bound one to use to update records. The second unbound (put it in the form header and label carefully) to search.

ans

Local time
An unbound combo will NOT store anything. But, unbound combos are used for filtering. Bound combos update records. That means you need TWO combos. One bound one to use to update records. The second unbound (put it in the form header and label carefully) to search.
Okay, I will give this a try. By chance could I put them on another form?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom