HELP - Not subtracting two sums correctly! (1 Viewer)

moniqueo

Local time
Today, 15:01
Hello. I've never used this blog so I hope that I've provided enough information that someone might be able to provide me with answers. I've created a simple accounting program on Access and a report with the following information that looks like this under the Section Footer:

=Sum([TransactionAmount]) =Sum([GST])
=Sum([TransactionAmount]-[GST])

There are 22 sections and under each section there is a Section Total (the sum of all transactions for the section) and a GST Total (the sum of all GST from each transaction for the section). I'm slightly confused though because the last calculation (the total of all transactions excluding GST) only computes correctly sometimes. For example:

I have one section that looks like this and is obviously correct:
$14,424.57 $785.49
$13,639.08
And then I have another section that looks like this and is obviously incorrect:
$37,886.28 $2,069.99
$22,81629

Can anyone explain this??? Thanks!

lightray

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 10:01
I think when it comes to calculations in a report you have to fill each calculation out in its own right.
Therefore the third calculation should be, = sum([TransactionAmount]) - sum([GST])
Remember if you were doing it in code you would have to assign a variable to each value. As far as explaining it ??? I have learnt it here from the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom