HELP! system won't boot....... (1 Viewer)

CEH

Curtis
Local time
Today, 14:09
I've been searching around and I'm unsure to try a few things..... Hope someone here can guide me.
Last night I was working on a DB and my computer did some funky things...
Then this.....
"The registry cannot load the hive (file). \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software"
ITs a Dell laptop, so I have the operating system disk.... I go into it and try to get into the recovery console.... I end up at a C: Windows prompt..... did the chkdsk.... everything OK I guess..... But what now???? I'm lost on this one! Some "tech" at a bestbuy I called said this is a common problem..... Then why not a common answer!?!?!?!?!?!?
HELP!!!!! Please:confused:

CEH

Curtis
Local time
Today, 14:09
Yes, windoes XP. And NO I cannot get it to boot into safe mode.

From your link this one.... says exactly the problem........

Hi, this one is difficult and since your XP install appears to be OEM then there is no easy solution. If you can borrow a copy of XP, a similiar version to what you have, XP home or pro with sp1 or sp 2 on it. Maybe even buy a copy if needs be. Go into BIOS and set first boot device to CD:-

Boot your system with the XP cd in the drive, let the system boot into the Setup. Once in the Setup, choose to run the Recovery Console.

You will be presented with a command prompt (like DOS)
Now, type in the following commands pressing Enter after each line.

md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\tmp\system.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

Make sure you type these commands exactly as I have shown you.

Also, change the C in the commands to whatever your Windows XP drive letter is.

Now reboot the computer, if it doesn't boot, get back into the Recovery Console and run the following commands.

md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\software C:\windows\tmp\software.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\software
copy C:\windows\repair\software C:\windows\system32\config\software

Now reboot again and hopefully your problem will be fixed. Good luck.

This part Boot your system with the XP cd in the drive, let the system boot into the Setup. Once in the Setup, choose to run the Recovery Console. Is where I am unsure.... I get into the "Recovery console" just looks like a dos screen to me.. with "C: Windows>" prompt
Do I just type in the lines above? Or first do a "cd" to change to just a C: prompt..... Been a long time since I've done anything in a dos screen!!

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Today, 15:09
if you do cd .. you can go back to just plain c

but you should be able to do it from c:windows seeing as the full path is given with the
C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\tmp\system.bak

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom