Help with memory issues (RAM) (1 Viewer)

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:31
I am constantly running out of memory (RAM) when working with Modules. I posted a few weeks ago and someone sent me to the Access Encyclopedia where it talks about using only the 64 Megs of RAM for Modules no matter how much is installed on your computer. They spoke of the problem that VB loads in every bit of code in the program when you open the editor.

I have found on Microsoft's site that you can no longer password protect individual modules (and therefore you can't only open one at a time). So I am looking at a limited amount of RAM, a maximized amount of code and no way around it (at least that I can see).

How can I format my modules (or my RAM structure in Windows) that will allow me to edit VBA code (a lot of it) appropriately? I am at the point where I am not even sure if VB will open most times. I can't believe that we would be limited to 64 Megs worth of code?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

chadt

Registered User.
Local time
I think your best bet is just getting more RAM...its dirt cheap...checkout EBAY...one of my co-workers got 256MB for $75

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
RAM is not the issue. I have 196MB (up from 128). The issue is that Windows or Access (I'm not sure which) allocates only 64Megs to that area that VB uses (it's called GDI-something) no matter how much is on your machine overall. The only solution I can see is to have Access only open some modules (which Microsoft's website says A2K doesn't do) or to get Windows to use more than 64Megs for that area of RAM. More RAM in general is not the solution. Sorry.

Any other suggestions?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:31
I think the number is only 64k not 64m. So it's even worse than you think. The first mainframe I worked on had only 128k (that's k not m) and that was enough to do multi-processing of batch jobs plus run a network of dumb terminals.

Anyway, I don't like this idea but it might be your only option if you want to stick with A2K (not every new version is an improvement as we have seen with many Microsoft products). Separate some of the modules out into a library database and reference the code there. That way you can limit the amount of code in any one database. I haven't done this but I think you just rename the .mdb to .mda and put a reference in your main database so Access can find your library. I believe there are some articles on the process available from the knowledge base.

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
I spoke with Stream Tech support. They think it has to do with my video card hogging too much space.

Pat - I have been thinking about doing that (reading up on libraries) although I'm afraid it would only be a temporary thing. I checked the application on other computers on our network and it worked just fine so it is a computer-specific problem, not an Access on.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

ElsVanMiert

Registered User.
Local time
If you tried everything that is proposed in the ACCESS ONLINE ENCYCLOPEDIA then you definitely need to create code libraries.

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
OK, here's what happened (I think). I noticed that I had 2 video cards in my machine. Even though the second one was not enabled (in Windows 98 as a second monitor), it was in the device driver so I removed it. I did a brief test and it looks as though everything is working the way it should.

To answer some questions, though:

Windows 98 was the original installation. As far the the ACCESS ONLINE ENCYCLOPEDIA, the solutions it suggested (password protecting individual modules to only open one at a time) are only available for Access 97. You can't do that in A2K. I also compliled my code (which I had never done) and the combination of all of the above seems to have solved the issue.

Thanks so much for all of your interest and comments!

R

Rich

From what I have read only the full install of win98 SR1 is capable of using more than 64meg Ram without changes to the registry that's why I asked.
HTH

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
To let you all know...I spoke too soon. I am still experiencing the same thing. It must be with my Windows set up or something other than Access in particular. Hopefully I will figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom