Help with my tables (1 Viewer)

Infinite

More left to learn.
Local time
Today, 14:27
there are so many flaws in there that it should be remade from A to Z!!!

I would like to know, if all I wanted to do was impute date and not fix the errors, and im the only one doing the date base, how much do I need to do? Now, I plan on doing it, but, I would like to know, how "bad" is it really if all I want to do is use it myself? Again, I defiantly plain on fixing all of it, I was just wondering, thats all. Just a simple (or not) response is wanted. Thanks!

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:27
MarkK: did you download his DB? I did and there are so many flaws in there that it should be remade from A to Z!!! Mr Infinite should first work post #3, and then any web tutorial on DB normalization...
JLC, I had seen Infinite's db before this thread was created and I did mention the same thing.

@Infinite, when it comes to normalisation there isn't a simple yes or no unfortunately. It's actually a full process that needs to be followed. Each table is looked at one after the other and then advice can be given. But you will first need to get a good grasp of the basics so that you can understand and effectively implement whatever advice is given.
If there are more than 2 people saying the same thing you can appreciate that what's been said is quite vital.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Infinite!

Except when he gives his opinion on autonumber :p , vbaInet his always right! You have to understand that your project is not so simple and that a properly adressed project his likely to last all the way.

Attached is a proposed schema (I'm an old timer...) for your project: compare it with what you did and ask yourself if its a good solution and how it simplifies the basic structure of your app to be!

Be patient, JLC.

Attachments

• Relations.png
    Relations.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 113

Infinite

More left to learn.
Local time
Ok, after looking at that, I should be using the Relationships tab under Data Base Tools, correct? Because, that could be some of my problem, seeing as I dont ever use it.

Also, how long does it take one to normally learn access, and be able to create a data base?

And some questions about the picture. What is ShowCostSources? It has the show, ShowCostSource (like Booth, and electric?) and the cost. I understand most of that. But it CostSource, it has CostSource, CostSourceName and UnitCost. Not sure what UnitCost is if ShowCostSource already has a Cost Field in it. Or are you thinking that each source (like booth and electric) costs one price? Just checking.

Now, to see how yours looks to mine, I have a EventID in tblEvents, and a EventID in tblShowFood. I dont have any tblShowTypes, as I removed that and replaced them with drop down menus, per vbaInet suggestions. After looking, mine is the same except the ShowCostSource table(s). I will try (and hopefully do) what your picture looks like, but I first just need to know what they are. Thanks once again!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:27
@Infinite

Would you build a house, or airplane, or shopping center without a blueprint or plan?
Why would you expect databases to be any different?
What about the tutorial in post#3?

Infinite

More left to learn.
Local time
What about the tutorial in post#3?

Yes, I did it, and a couple others I found.

Would you build a house, or airplane, or shopping center without a blueprint or plan?
No idea. But, I can see what you mean, I should plain on what I want, then do it.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Answering #24.

The presence of EventID is an error: ignore it.

Cost: I thing I didn't understand your treatment of costs. So in CostSources, Cost is the unit price. ShowCostSources.Cost makes it possible to increase or reduce the unit cost. Ex. Unit price of a table is $325 but you used 3 so you should enter 3 * $325 = $975. Writing this, I just realize that NumUnits (number of units) should be added, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom