Hide Selected table rows in a form combobox (1 Viewer)

jms3257

Local time
Today, 13:23
I have a combobox in a form, the table has all 50 states, but for now I would like to limit this list to just a few states. I have added a column called active. I have un checked all but a few states but in the combo box all the states still show up. I'm sure I have just missed a step. Can anyone assist me with this?

Thank You
Jim:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:23
Hi Jim. What is the Row Source of your Combobox? Try using a query with a criteria for the active states.

jms3257

Local time
Thanks DBguy that was it. learning so much, is easy to overlook a step. Next time I should remember it.

jms3257

Local time
I have a similar problem I haven't spent a lot of time on yet, but I think it will be an answer close to this one. I have a few forms that have up to 19 web addresses for the same contact. I have added a field for order sort. Am I going to need to create an event? If so would it be "After Update" or "On Change"? and would that include a "Requery" statement at the end?

Again Thank You
Jim:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have a similar problem I haven't spent a lot of time on yet, but I think it will be an answer close to this one. I have a few forms that have up to 19 web addresses for the same contact. I have added a field for order sort. Am I going to need to create an event? If so would it be "After Update" or "On Change"? and would that include a "Requery" statement at the end?

Again Thank You
Jim:
Hi Jim. Maybe if you could post a screenshot, it would make it clearer what you mean. In the meantime, maybe you could also take a look at the Rearrange Sort Order Demo from my website, in case it is similar to what you're trying to do.

jms3257

Local time
I will start by checking your website. That will be tomorrow, right now I'm having problems focusing on the screen. In the event I need to post a screenshot, just what would you need to see? the form?

Thank You
Jim:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I will start by checking your website. That will be tomorrow, right now I'm having problems focusing on the screen. In the event I need to post a screenshot, just what would you need to see? the form?

Thank You
Jim:
Something that you can use to help explain what you want.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:23

Again Thank You
Jim:
If you are not going to want to change the sort order all the time, why not get the sort correct for the source of your form?

jms3257

Local time
If you are not going to want to change the sort order all the time, why not get the sort correct for the source of your form?
Good point, I am wanting to add this mostly as an exercise. I may not really need it but want to learn how.
Thank You
Jim:

jms3257

Local time
Hi Jim. Maybe if you could post a screenshot, it would make it clearer what you mean. In the meantime, maybe you could also take a look at the Rearrange Sort Order Demo from my website, in case it is similar to what you're trying to do.

Screen shot of one of my forms. For each school there will be 1 and as many as 18-20 depending on how many sports teams each school has. More if I start adding JV and Freshman teams. I would like the ability to change the sort number if needed.

Jim:
Untitled.jpg

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Screen shot of one of my forms. For each school there will be 1 and as many as 18-20 depending on how many sports teams each school has. More if I start adding JV and Freshman teams. I would like the ability to change the sort number if needed.

Jim:
View attachment 81870
Ah, thanks for posting an image. It definitely does look like any of the approaches I showed in my demo might apply with your setup. Have you had a chance to take a look at it?

jms3257

Local time
Ah, thanks for posting an image. It definitely does look like any of the approaches I showed in my demo might apply with your setup. Have you had a chance to take a look at it?

The second or middle example is close to what I am trying to get to. Now the question is how to go about it. I am still very early in the learning curve.

Jim:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The second or middle example is close to what I am trying to get to. Now the question is how to go about it. I am still very early in the learning curve.

Jim:
Hi Jim. No better time to start learning than now. Take a look at the code behind the demo and post questions on anything you don't understand. Does your table include a sort order field?

jms3257

Local time
Hi Jim. No better time to start learning than now. Take a look at the code behind the demo and post questions on anything you don't understand. Does your table include a sort order field?

I must be missing something, when I open the demo DB I am able to get to the Design View but am not able to click on anything. All I get is the windows chime. What I downloaded is "theDBguySortReOrderDemoV1.1.accdb" am I doing something wrong?

Yes my table has a sort order field.

Jim:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I must be missing something, when I open the demo DB I am able to get to the Design View but am not able to click on anything. All I get is the windows chime. What I downloaded is "theDBguySortReOrderDemoV1.1.accdb" am I doing something wrong?

Yes my table has a sort order field.

Jim:
Hi Jim. Just to clarify, what you have downloaded from the website should have been a ".zip" file. If you simply double-clicked on it and then double-clicked on the ".accdb" file in it, then you might get that "ding" from Windows. Is this what happened?

jms3257

Local time
Hi Jim. Just to clarify, what you have downloaded from the website should have been a ".zip" file. If you simply double-clicked on it and then double-clicked on the ".accdb" file in it, then you might get that "ding" from Windows. Is this what happened?
I downloaded then extracted to a folder then opened in Access. Had to close the popup window to be able to click the trust. then I can click one of the three options. Once it opens the form I can right click to open in Design View. other than that I cannot do anything else.

Jim:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom