High.Medium.Low Combo box (1 Viewer)

ssworthi

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:33
I have a "to do" project data base where it has date/time needed by and the requestor has asked that it also include priority High.Medium. Low. In the form based on the table I have created a drop down with those values but when used in a report I want to have "High" as the greatest value; how would I assign that property? Thanks so much for any help.:confused:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
Not sure what you're asking but in a table or list
Id....TextValue
1,"Low"
2,"Medium"
3,"High"

ssworthi

Registered User.
Local time
I"m a real end user so I definately need some clarification and some help. I open the table in design, I click on the field "priority" which is defined as text. Should I change it from text to combo box, row source "value List",then add the values of High,Medium,Low in the row source as you suggest "1,Low", etc? Thanks so much.

ssworthi

Registered User.
Local time
I did the combo and I can see when I go to that field it's a drop down but what I see is 1 "Low";2"Medium" 3;"High". Is that the string that I should have in there?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
I think so. And based on the selection and your usage you would store the 1, 2 or 3
If i'm understanding you , then when you sort, the 3 will be the larger value which just happens to be associated with "High".

ssworthi

Registered User.
Local time
I will try it and see how it works. Thanks so much for your help.

Local time
Today, 10:33
You asked "but when used in a report I want to have "High" as the greatest value; how would I assign that property?"

If I am understanding your question, you want the report to show the "high priority rows at the top of the list?'

To show High priorities at the top of the report:

You can do this in report design.
Select Grouping and Sorting.
Sort by priority.

ssworthi

Registered User.
Local time
The table field "Priority" is a combo box and it's row source is "High";3;"Medium";2;"Low";1. When I group on Date needed, then Priority but in the report it is reading the alpha character instead of the numeric which causes Low to print before Medium. Somehow I have to have it recognize the numeric value which will then sort it correctly. Thanks for all your help!:confused:

Local time
Today, 10:33
You probably have used the access feature called a lookup in the projects table. This would be a combo box in the table for projects.

Change the lookup in the table so that the priority has only 1 column with High, Medium, Low. - For a simple database this is probably the easiest solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom