Home School mom "graduated"...need help! (1 Viewer)

MarcieFess

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:35
Hi everyone. I've been on here a few weeks but I don't believe I've ever introduced myself.

I'm a 50-something mom with a varied professional background.

My degree is in Business Administration, which was actually a fall-back position after 2 previous degree plans and being in a private university for 5 years...I didn't have the money to pursue a specific course of study within Business. Now I wish I'd studied computer programming...but that's in the past. I had 1 computer course in college...COBOL. It cured me of computers and programming (or so I thought).

I've been the computer professional at every professional position I held "before kids"...when I was working at a wholesale mortgage company, I not only prepared all of the documents (notes, deeds of trust, RESPA statements, and all the other documents you sign until your hand cramps), but I was responsible for maintaining the computers (no such thing as a LAN back then...it was in its infancy). When the Feds shut us down (we were part of a Savings & Loan) in the 1980s, I went on to become a computer trainer.

As a computer trainer, I developed and administered training to the employees. Back then, Windows was just getting started and I loved good ol' DOS. I felt that educated users caused fewer problems overall than uneducated users...and when you have a GUI that does all the "thinking" for you, you end up with uneducated users. At least in order to use DOS, users had to have an elementary knowledge of the type of logic that computers use.

I was part of a team that developed training for all of our remote sales and services locations around the country, and was part of the team that moved us from paper-based forms that they mailed to use and we scanned in, to PC-based systems that, at the time, uploaded the days' work overnight to the mainframes.

I had 2 children and then began having problem pregnancies resulting in 2 miscarriages...so I quit my job when I became pregnant again, in order to concentrate on my health and that of my baby. I had 2 more children, and we'd already made the decision to home school.

I spent 20+ years home schooling my children, working in retail at a grocery store and at PetsMart when funds got tight.

My husband is a developer "trapped in a consultant's body", and he does his best to help me with this Access application but he doesn't know Access, he knows Java and many years ago programmed in C and C++.

I'm seeking full-time employment. In the meantime, I'm signed up with an office-staffing temp agency...and my current assignment is for a company who called that agency instead of an IT company to develop an Access application.

I've already received invaluable help from people on these forums and I'm sure I will receive much more.

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Welcome Marcie;

Keep at it. It does get easier the more you work with it. I didn't start working with Access until I was into my 60's. One or two projects and you will look back and see how much of a difference you have made for your clients and yourself.

Good luck and keep posting.

Alan

MarcieFess

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you, Alan. This project is becoming intricate...and I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose. Most of the new stuff I'm trying isn't working...I hope I begin to have success soon. They are asking me when I'll be done and I really feel like telling them "a month ago if you'd hired a professional"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom