How can I edit a query from code? (1 Viewer)

sirkistova

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:20
Hello,
There is an "Options" form to configure some values (prices).
Upon hitting OK, I would like to run a piece of vb code that edits a query with the updates values.
How can I edit a query from code?
(The query is the data source of a report)
Thanks
Tova

Local time
Today, 13:20
If I understand your question, you want to change some values in the table/s that the query uses. To do this, use an update query.

sirkistova

Registered User.
Local time
Doesn't work :(
I get "query is too complex" when I try to open the report.
The reason I want to edit the query from code is to workaround "query is too complex".
Thanks
Tova

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Most people create a dynamic query and apply it to the RecordSource of the report.
Code:
 strSQL = "SELECT field1, field2 FROM tablename WHERE field1=" & somevariable & " ORDER BY field2;"

Me.RecordSource = strSQL

It can also be done by setting this as a static Record Source

Code:
SELECT field1, field2 FROM tablename WHERE field1= Forms!formname.controlname ORDER BY field2;

Last edited:
Local time
Do you have a query as the record source for the report?
Are you trying to set the report's record source using code?
Post the query here for us to look at - open the query in design view, highlight the sql and copy and paste it here.
We will need to see the tables used in the query, their primary keys and foreign keys and the relationships between those tables.

sirkistova

Registered User.
Local time
The 2 queries:

SELECT IIf(ReciprocityCount>FG,(ReciprocityCount-FG),0) AS ReciprocityBillCount,
ReciprocityBillCount*PG AS ReciprocityCost, RegularCount*PG AS RegularCost,
(ReciprocityCost+RegularCost+ReciprocityOptCost) AS TotalCost, (TotalCost-AmountPaid) AS BalanceDue,
(AmountPaid*1) AS AmountPaidCur, *
FROM qryInvoiceSendCnts;

SELECT MEMBER.LASTNAME+', '+MEMBER.FIRSTNAME AS FullName,
(select count(SenderReciever.RecieverMemberCode) from SenderReciever where SenderReciever.Reciprocity = False and SenderReciever.SenderMemberCode = MEMBER.MemberCode) AS RegularCount,
(select count(SenderReciever.RecieverMemberCode) from SenderReciever where SenderReciever.Reciprocity = True and SenderReciever.SenderMemberCode = MEMBER.MemberCode) AS ReciprocityCount,
IIf(MEMBER.Reciprocity,RC,0) AS ReciprocityOptCost, Nz(MEMBER.AmountPaid,0) AS AmountPaid, PetekFooter
FROM MEMBER, Prices;

The 3 sizes that need to be softcoded: RC, FG, PG.

If I make them fileds in a table, the report fails - "query is too complex".
That's Y I want to rewrite the 2 queries open OK hit after RC, FG, PG change values.
Thanks.

Local time
Reports don't need (and often don't like) a complicated query like the ones you posted.
Use the reports Grouping and Sorting button to set up the totals instead of doing it in the query.

You can probably also take the IIf statements out of the query and put them in calculated controls - textboxes in the report.

To let user choose the values for RC, FG and PG, use a selector form that opens before the report.
It will have dropdowns for user to choose rc, fg and pg.
After user clicks the OK button to open the report, your code puts the chosen values for rc, fg, and pg into a where clause which is used in the OpenReport method.

sirkistova

Registered User.
Local time
Hello,
I found out how to set a query - using CreateQueryDef .
Thanks
Tova

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom